Sign in to follow this  
JC 1965

slow it down

JC 1965

I have a 1991 312-8 with a 42" deck. I cut about 3/4 acres of grass. My problem is if i run it in 1st gear it's too slow, if i run it in 2nd gear it's too fast and doesn't cut the grass as smooth as i like. My question is, can i slow it down just a little so i can run in 2nd gear and still do a good job on the grass? I like seat time but i have back problems and just can't ride very long without pain. Can i maybe change the engine and trans pulley's to slow it down just a little bit ? :dunno: Any help would be greatly appreciated. My back will appreciate it also. :bow-blue:

AMC RULES

Wouldn't slowing it down keep you in the seat longer Jerry, and equal more back pain? :scratchead:

Kelly

How about low range in 3rd or even 4th gear?

GlenPettit

I'm a strong believer in adding a set of Gator Blades, so you now have six blades (12 edges) cutting grass under your deck.

Sharp blades and a level deck are the secrets to a nice cut, and the extra blades will easily let you do a great job in second gear.

(I have the same tractor and deck as you), Gator Blades cost the same and install just above your regular blades, you will often

get a better price and save shipping at the auto stores, google them for details.

A little less throttle will slow you down a little in second.

Michigan Glen

Edit: There is just enough room on the spindles to add the second set of 3 blades (because of the low-profile 7/8" nuts), the Gator Blades go on first, higher when cutting; have your original blades lower, put them on last to cut just a little lower and take most of the wear; the gator blades (also called Raptor or Commercial blades) have 3 high-rise fins behind each cutting edge to suck, lift & keep the grass blades up high, this helps to double-cut the grass blades smaller and then the "lift" volumn will increase throwing the grass blades out-away from the deck. (Gator blades don't work well on Wheel Horse 'recyclers', with the internal baffles built in under the deck).

Edited by GlenJeri

Wheel-N-It

I understand your problem, and I think the key will be sharp blades with good deck adjustment, and if possible look for a set of lower profile rear tires. That may be easier than finding and changing a pulley.

JC 1965

Craig, A little slower in second gear would be faster than low gear. thanks!

Kelly, I've tried 3rd and 4th gear in low range but that's too slow. thanks!

Bob, The gator blades sound very interesting, I think i will try a set of Them. I'm not sure what you mean by ( they install just above the regular blades) are you saying that both the gator blades and the regular blades would be mounted on the mower deck at the same time ? :dunno:

Docwheelhorse

4rth gear???? Whatcha talking about Willis.... you have 1,2,3,R in Lo and Hi for 6 forward and 2 reverse. I have always cut in 2nd high and always been happy. I guess 3rd gear low range might be a touch slower than 2nd high... or perhaps changing from 23 to 22 inch diameter rear tires would help.

Tony

DoctorHfuhruhurr

You may want to also deflate the tires some to make the ride less bumpy on your back. I've seen some people swap the seat with a car bucket seat to make it more comfortable.

JC 1965

Tony, I meant 3rd gear, sorry about that, they say the mind is the first thing to go and i believe that's true. Although in my case i think everything is pretty much going at the same time. :hide:

Paul D.

You could always switch to a hydrostatic trans. you can go as slow or fast as you want to. :twocents-mytwocents:

1964Horse

you can tune the carburator tighter so it will go slower

TT

you can tune the carburator tighter so it will go slower

Care to explain? :scratchead:

boovuc

I'm with TT on that explaination as well???

1964Horse

its on a radier 12 it has a cable for the shoke running to the carb and it has a screw that if you tighten it will take less throttle and air to move slow but if you un tighten it the power will be much stronger

JBow

its on a radier 12 it has a cable for the shoke running to the carb and it has a screw that if you tighten it will take less throttle and air to move slow but if you un tighten it the power will be much stronger

HUH ?

Kelly

:text-yeahthat:

Martin

:wwp:

JC 1965

Glen, Thanks for the info on the Gator blades. One more question, will my regular blades mount parallel to the Gator blades or at a 90 degree angle ?

GlenPettit

At a 90º angle for each.

If the blades are all clean, dry & tight, they tend to stay in that position fairly well, but if you do hit dirt or a rock, one blade will rotate, even so it still seems to cut well. To drill a hole (for a bolt) or to 'kick notch' a blade is probably not necessary to maintain the 90º, in my opinion.

My yard is fairly nice & smooth, until the moles come out. I sharpen about every 20 hours, or 3-times/year.

Michigan Glen

Screenshot2012-03-19at75751AM.png

IthacaJeff

Jerry:

I cannot see how a 312 going in 2nd gear is too fast for a good cut unless the blades are dull and the deck

is out of adjustment. 3rd gear, yes, but not 2nd. I sometimes cut in 3rd gear with my 416-8 and 48" deck,

but only when speed is necessary over cut quality.

Jeff

JC 1965

Jeff, I know the blades are sharp. I will get out my manual and check to see if everything is adjusted right.

Glen, Thanks for your help on the Gator blades. I will order a set today, now that i know how to install them. Thanks! :thumbs2:

JC 1965

Glen, I was reading over all the reply's to my original post, up above in one of my reply's i called you Bob. :hide: I have no idea why but i am very sorry. Thanks again for your help. :notworthy:

GlenPettit

Jerry:

People have called me a lot of different things, and after 34 years of teaching, I think I've heard them all.

When we're talking Wheel Horse stuff we are all very focused on our tractors and solving/learning

something new, it's easy to make a little slip up like names. But, "Just don't call me late for dinner".

PS - My daughter just gave us three new grandsons, triplets, in just 2 minutes:Liam, Julian & Hudson,

(all about 3.5# each, all are doing well & born in St Patty's Day), (and she was born herself on February 14th);

now I need to restore three more tractors for them (for in a few years) .

Glen

JC 1965

Glen, Wow!! :bow-blue: Congrats on the triplets. That is just wonderful. I have one grand daughter, she starts college this fall. They sure grow up fast. I get tired just thinking back about all the things we did together, when she was growing up. Those three grandsons will sure keep you busy and I'm sure you will enjoy every minute of it. Again, congratulations. :thumbs2:

PS- You better get busy restoring those tractors !! :eusa-whistle:

dcrage

Ahh...... Back up in this post there was the suggestion that 3rd low range would be faster than1st in high range -- I don't have any of the literature with speeds setting in front of me, but I am pretty sure from 20+ years of cutting grass with my 310-8 in those two speeds a large amount of the time that 1st high produces the faster ground speed

Am I wrong???