Sign in to follow this  
eibbed

K91 T compression

eibbed

Gentlemen,

I've been trying to start my 4hp Kohler. It has a rebuilt Carter Carburetor and good spark. I poured a little gas in the cylinder head, but it still wouldn't start.

I then checked the compression and came up with 50 pounds. At 50 pounds, do I have enough compression for the engine to run?

Thanks,

Dave

VinsRJ

It should start without load, may not run well. Have you pulled the head?

specialwheelhorse

Try a fine mist of gas in carb as in windex mist , might have just fooded it with pouring .

Should run if timing is right. JIM

bowtiebutler956

I assume it has a compression release like like most Kohlers do. I am not sure what the compression reading should be when just cranking the engine over, maybe someone else here does. :teasing-poke:

Matt :flags-texas:

VinsRJ

I assume it has a compression release like like most Kohlers do. I am not sure what the compression reading should be when just cranking the engine over, maybe someone else here does. :teasing-poke:

Matt :flags-texas:

I beleive the K90 and K91 did not have compression release.

MikesRJ

I would think compression would be a bit higher than 50 lbs (more like >70 lbs), but I would be more concerned with the spark first.

If you remove the spark wire from the plug and hold the metal contact about an 1/8" From the spark plug, you should see a spark when you pull on the recoil. Check that first. If you don't have spark start looking at the Points next.

Then check the timing per this document. Are they clean and opening when the engine is rotated?

Then I would check the timing per this document. Link to static engine timing doc: http://mgonitzke.net...atic_timing.pdf

Also, Have you had this engine apart? If so are you sure the crank is timed correctly to the cam shaft?

Let us know how you make out.