CTBT&D

44" 2 Stage Rebuld and Modification

CTBT&D

This is my first post, so bear with me on this one.

Quick history-1998 44" 2 Stage snowthrower, Model #79361, I bought this unit off eBay for a fair price back in January 2010, from Joe's Outdoor Power.

I did the rebuild during the summer of 2010. The paint color was automotive Dodge Viper red, all decals are new and I carefully removed and reattached the model/serial# tag with an automotive emblem adhesive.

It was mounted on my 1991 416H for the end of 2010 winter and for the 2010-2011 season. This last winter it was on my 1995 520H.

I'm not an engineer, I just tinker with stuff that breaks or doesn't work as well as I would like it to.

Before and after pictures

post-5789-0-32676000-1332001805_thumb.jppost-5789-0-51308800-1332001831_thumb.jp

First the Peerless gearbox, I don't know if the previous owner hit something solid with the auger or the pulley was hit from the side, but where it is mounted was bent counterclockwise. I bent back the mounting surface with small hydraulic press and welded two pieces of cold rolled steel, 1/2 x 1 x 3", on the inside and remounted the gearbox with 1/2" longer carriage bolts (Sorry no picture, difficult to see).

I tried a new stock chain tensioner block the first winter after the rebuild (2010-2011) and didn't like how it wore so fast. So for this winter I used a small roller chain guide with a sealed ball bearing (made for a small motorcycle), and it worked pretty well. But we had a very light winter this year.

My auger bearings were worn completely through the side, I didn't like the shaft turning inside the bronze bushing so I replaced them with 1" self centering sealed ball bearings from TSC, Part #1195167 and mounting flanges, Part #1198717. Then I had to make a 1/4" spacer so the bearings sat inside far enough so the side thrust bolts on the outside ends of the shaft were

spaced correctly.

post-5789-0-81347600-1332001913_thumb.jp

Next are the modifications.

I added a 12 volt linear actuator to the deflector. The mounts are homemade from aluminum and I had to drill one 1/4" hole in the deflector handle. The actuator has built in stroke adjustment and limit switches.

post-5789-0-13754200-1332001998_thumb.jp

I added a 12 volt power window motor from my truck to turn the chute. This took some time to fabricate and to figure how to wire it with limit switches. The limit switches are from McMaster-Carr and are rated to get wet but not submersed. I used a standard flat four trailer plug to connect it to the tractor. The first picture is the mock up and I drilled two 3/8" hole to mount. The toggle switches I used were from Radio Shack (3 position, 6 terminal, DPDT switch, springs back to center).

post-5789-0-87578400-1332002065_thumb.jppost-5789-0-38481300-1332004763_thumb.jp

I also attached a power window motor to a single stage(1989-Model#06-36SL01). I bought it brand new in the box in 2009. I know this model was built for a vertical shaft Wheel Horse, but I converted it to my horizontal shaft tractors. That would be complete new post. Too much time on my hands during the winter I guess.

Currently I'm putting a Haban sickle bar mower on the 416H. Not a bad fit until I wanted to use the hydraulic lift to raise and lower it.

I hope this has some helpful information for somebody, as I have picked up a lot information from this site for my hobby.

Craig

• Like 7

Sparky

Craig, that came out great and thanks for the fantastic write-up! Your choice of red is awesome (I'm a Dodge guy :eusa-clap: ). Any action shots tossin snow?

Mike............

CTBT&D

:rs:

Sorry, wasn't much to throw this year.

Craig :sad-bored:

AMC RULES

Awesome work Craig. :thumbs:

Hodge71

CraiG,

Absolutely AWESOME job re-engineering that chucker. You have a gift, thanks for sharing it with us

Hydro

That's some pretty serious tinkering. Great restoration too! :WRS:

Trouty56

Yeah I have to agree with Gary there....you may not be an engineer on paper but believe me you are more than a tinkerer....way more....

Jeremy Watson

Great looking snow blower and modification. Would like to have that kind of fab skills! Maybe next year will be better for some snow action photos.

Jeremy

Forest Road

Very nice! I did a full sandblast and paint on one I'm sure I'll be replacing the bushings with pillow blocks in a few years. Thanks for sharing.