Sign in to follow this  
Kingwood990

The 100$ 214 Deere is home. Dad now has a project.

Kingwood990

Most parts are still available from Deere on their older equipment. But I'm seeing more and more NLA on some of their parts. The fuel pump is still available, it's part number AM134269 from JD. It includes the gasket.

Thanks Terry. It looks like I wrote down the wrong part number. When I go to the dealer soon I will order the pump.

Wheel-N-It

Good Matt, I want to hear that thing run. Also I guess you could get a small electric pump and a fuel pressure regulator if you are unable to get one from Kohler or John Deere. I wish I was more help with this but I have never had to buy a fuel pump for a small engine.

Kingwood990

Good Matt, I want to hear that thing run. Also I guess you could get a small electric pump and a fuel pressure regulator if you are unable to get one from Kohler or John Deere. I wish I was more help with this but I have never had to buy a fuel pump for a small engine.

I might have to try that if I can't get the pump. The tank is in the back of the tractor so it is no way I can gravity feed the carb. Who ever stole the pump off of this thing I really dis like right now. If I was to do a different style pump, I need to build a block off plate for the block.

You will here this thing run just it might not be soon. I think the deck might be locked up but also the belts are real tight so that might have something to do with it.

Wheel-N-It

Hang in there Matt. You will get it going and working.

I hope to be tilling tomorrow if it is not too wet after tonights rain storm. I had to cut down five trees after work to put my daughters garden in where she wants it. I dug out three of the stumps and cleaned everything up right before dark. Tomorrow that ground may get a tiller stuck in it.

Kingwood990

Hang in there Matt. You will get it going and working.

I hope to be tilling tomorrow if it is not too wet after tonights rain storm. I had to cut down five trees after work to put my daughters garden in where she wants it. I dug out three of the stumps and cleaned everything up right before dark. Tomorrow that ground may get a tiller stuck in it.

Good luck on tilling. We got about an inch rain here and the garden is just mud now. Glad we got it planted last week.

Today I am going to pull the fenders so I can remove the gas tank. I will take pictures as I go.

Wheel-N-It

Hey matt, I am looking forward to those pics!

I got the tilling done today. Fortunatly where I live there is no clay in the soil, so tilling was easy. Did you have any luck with a fuel pump yet?

Kingwood990

Hey matt, I am looking forward to those pics!

I got the tilling done today. Fortunatly where I live there is no clay in the soil, so tilling was easy. Did you have any luck with a fuel pump yet?

Van the pictures might not happen. I found the drain plug on the bottom of the tank. I figured this would be easier than taking every thing apart. No luck on the pump yet. Just have to much going on to go order one.

No clay in the soil. You must be the only one in this area then. Its clay here all the way around.

Wheel-N-It

Yeah I'm blessed in that regard. Where I live its all decomposed granite several hundred feet deep with a layer of topsoil covering it. Grows grass and rosebushes like crazy!

My Cub Cadet is still at Roberts house. I don't mind the delay though as you know how much I have been turning wrenches here on the Horses. I know it will be tight and solid when I get it back. Hey Matt, keep your eye out for a push blade for me please. I want one for the Cub Cadet. The blade will have to fit a Quiet Line Wide Frame from 1975.

Thanks Matt,

Van

Kingwood990

Yeah I'm blessed in that regard. Where I live its all decomposed granite several hundred feet deep with a layer of topsoil covering it. Grows grass and rosebushes like crazy!

My Cub Cadet is still at Roberts house. I don't mind the delay though as you know how much I have been turning wrenches here on the Horses. I know it will be tight and solid when I get it back. Hey Matt, keep your eye out for a push blade for me please. I want one for the Cub Cadet. The blade will have to fit a Quiet Line Wide Frame from 1975.

Thanks Matt,

Van

I will keep an eye out for you. One might show up in the area. I did put the 214 on blocks so I can get a gas can under the tank so I can drain it. I should of done this years ago with the MTD when it was getting worked on. Having stuff at eye level is awesome.

Wheel-N-It

Matt, there is a 214 for sale in goldsboro. looks good too!

Kingwood990

Matt, there is a 214 for sale in goldsboro. looks good too!

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/grd/2916239097.html

Is it this? Its priced about 300 to high and the deck is a replacement. Deere never put a 48'' deck on these from the factory.

Wheel-N-It

Yep thats the one Matt! May be priced a bit high but it sure olooks good to me :)

Kingwood990

Yep thats the one Matt! May be priced a bit high but it sure olooks good to me :)

Its a good looking machine for sure just I prefer tractors I can make that nice myself. :tools-wrench:

Kingwood990

Today I was finally able to drain the old gas out of the tank. It was nasty. I did have to cut the fuel line to drain the tank. I think there is enough line left that I can still use what I have. The fuel shut off valve in the bottom of the tank is threaded. I have never delt with a shut off valve that is threaded into the tank. It made it a pain to remove.

Wheel-N-It

Keep up the good work Matt ! Use some new fuel line if you can. The old line was not rated for Methanol gasoline, and does not hold up very well to it.

Kingwood990

Keep up the good work Matt ! Use some new fuel line if you can. The old line was not rated for Methanol gasoline, and does not hold up very well to it.

Thanks for the info Van. I hope putting a new line on this thing is not going to be hard. I think I have to thread it though the under side of the tractor.

Wheel-N-It

OK, Matt here is what to do. Splice in the new line to the old line ( couple them together with something like a piece of hard tubing or even a section of pencil or an ink pen ) and then carefully pull the old line out while you feed the new line in. You may have to wipe some dishwashing soap or WD40 on both the hoses to do this, but it works good alot of the time.

• Like 1

Kingwood990

OK, Matt here is what to do. Splice in the new line to the old line ( couple them together with something like a piece of hard tubing or even a section of pencil or an ink pen ) and then carefully pull the old line out while you feed the new line in. You may have to wipe some dishwashing soap or WD40 on both the hoses to do this, but it works good alot of the time.

I did not think about doing this. This sounds easier than threading the new line through the frame and what not. I do know I need a new shut off valve. The old one looked like it was full of peanut butter. It don't think it is possible to get it clean and free flowing again.

Any how here is a current picture of the tractor.

oj0yls.jpg

krazy_horse

Good score on your Deer. I bought one last year in about the same condition for $250, It had a new rod,piston and valves but needed the carb cleaned,fuel line and filter etc. These old girls weigh in at a heafty 660 pounds but will pull or push most anything. I bought a nice grill from Kelly and the JD store near me has or can get any thing I need. Regards, Jim I forgot to add my 214 has a small car battery.

Kingwood990

Good score on your Deer. I bought one last year in about the same condition for $250, It had a new rod,piston and valves but needed the carb cleaned,fuel line and filter etc. These old girls weigh in at a heafty 660 pounds but will pull or push most anything. I bought a nice grill from Kelly and the JD store near me has or can get any thing I need. Regards, Jim

Thanks Jim. I think I did good on this tractor. This thing is heavy. Just pulling it up the drive way with the other Deere in the picture was a challenge. I had to have a friend push me because I kept spinning out. I think the way she sits now it weights 759lbs just the tractor and mower and 869lbs with the blade. I have plans for lots of wheel weights and some ag tires. I still need some parts but the local deere dealer knows me by name. They say I have been the only customer that has came in to the store since childhood.

Wheel-N-It

That old JD is looking good Matt. It will be SWEET when you are finished with it. I had to put a in-line fuel cutoff on my Cub 1650 this past weekend. I cleaned out the fuel tank with Simple Green and blew the screen clean with compressed air, the replaced to fuel hose and carburator. I am having problems with the engine bogging under power, and am thinking it may be a sticking valve. I am running marvel mystery oil in the gas to free it up. That seems to be helping slowly but surely.

Kingwood990

That old JD is looking good Matt. It will be SWEET when you are finished with it. I had to put a in-line fuel cutoff on my Cub 1650 this past weekend. I cleaned out the fuel tank with Simple Green and blew the screen clean with compressed air, the replaced to fuel hose and carburator. I am having problems with the engine bogging under power, and am thinking it may be a sticking valve. I am running marvel mystery oil in the gas to free it up. That seems to be helping slowly but surely.

Keep running the marvel in it and it should free up. I wish I could of just blew the screen out but it looked like it was packed full of mud. Once I get done with the homelite I might pull the 214 apart and repaint it. I am debating if I should keep it in original un restored shape or if I should restore it. To many choices right now for it.

Wheel-N-It

Hows the 214 coming Matt?

Kingwood990

Hows the 214 coming Matt?

Right now its waiting on me to stuff some money in to it. Its going to have to wait about a month till I am done with this volunteer work and I start full time.

Kingwood990

So I done some horsetrading last night and I got the much needed fuel pump for free. Also got a truck load of cedar boards. It might be a few days till I can get the pump on the tractor. When I do I will get some pictures.