Sign in to follow this  
dobeleo

C-175 Help! Princeton, Illinois

dobeleo

Last year my wife had a garage sale and a guy stopped by and saw my 312-A in the garage and couldnt beleive how neat it was and my wife couldnt beleive it! He said he had an older WH and asked if he could contact me to ask some questions on where to find parts. My wife told him I would be totally excited to talk to him and help him out.

Well this morning he finally called. Larry told me he has an old C Series with a 17 HP Kohler. I told him I would send him the master list to help him identify his specific model and year then i would send him parts list, manuals, etc.

Larry also asked if I knew anyone near him ( Princeton, Illinois) that could help him get it running (repair shops). Princeton is an hour from me. Lawn mower repair shops he has talked to so far have told him these were not good tractors and he should get something new.

I am going to send him a link to the website so he can sign up!

Thanks all for your input!

Dan

Shorewood, Ilinois

Martin

dan,

looks like im 45 min away. i dont know much about the 17 hp kohler, but it would be nice to get another wh running.

larry,

dont listen to those repair shops if all they want to do is sell you a new tractor. if theres nothing major mechanically wrong with it im sure we could get it running. pm me if you want. we can talk.

Sparky

Those first gen 17 twins were known to die prematurely, so even if the motor is shot you (or someone) could help out with a motor swap to a 12-16hp single Kohler.

Mike............

Duff

Lawn mower repair shops he has talked to so far have told him these were not good tractors and he should get something new.

Now there are some lawn mower shops I would drive away from and never look back! :banghead:

Duff :ranting:

pfrederi

If the series 1 KT 17 threw a rod (the most common failure) I would agree with the repair shops...it is not worth rebuilding that motor.

bowtiebutler956

If it threw a rod, maybe its not worth rebuilding the engine, but I defiantly would not get rid or the horse, I would repower. :twocents-02cents:

Matt :flags-texas:

JackC

"Lawn mower repair shops he has talked to so far have told him these were not good tractors and he should get something new."

The C Series in general were great machines and the Kohler 17 Series 1 motors in the C-175s were OK as long they were not run on an incline.

Some people put extra oil in the crankcase to compensate for the low oil pressure, drip down system used in the Series 1 if operation on inclines was needed.

I have four C-175s, two with Series 1 motors and two with Series 2 motors and they all run great.

tgranthamfd

If it threw a rod, maybe its not worth rebuilding the engine, but I defiantly would not get rid of the horse, I would repower. :twocents-02cents:

Matt :flags-texas:

Agree 100%

CasualObserver

Bummer. We have a long time member who only lives about 10 miles north of him on Route 26 in Ohio. Unfortunately, that member hasn't returned since the forum crashed last fall.

SALTYWRIGHT

HE CAN PUT A DIESEL IN IT FOR LESS THAN ANY THING. THE TRACTOR IS MUCH BETTER THAN ANY THING THE DEALER HAS TO SELL FOR LESS THAN $7000.00. RUSS

dobeleo

When I spoke to Larry, he felt it just needed a tune up, no spark. No engine issues. He also thinks there may be issures with the safety switches. If I go out there, I may try to take the old girl home!

This is what caught his eye in my garage:

WheelHorse312-ASide.jpg

Dan

Shorewood, IL

stevasaurus

I think I would try to hook him up with Martin at this point...Martin may know more then a lot of dealers that work on them. I think that Jason meant to type RT#26 in Illinois out of Princeton. :) To Martin, Dan and this new guy...it would be nice to see you guys at the Sycamore Pioneer show the 2nd week in August...not too far for any of us.

CasualObserver

No... I said what I meant. :ychain:http://en.wikipedia....linois_Route_26

Martin

I think I would try to hook him up with Martin at this point...Martin may know more then a lot of dealers that work on them. I think that Jason meant to type RT#26 in Illinois out of Princeton. :) To Martin, Dan and this new guy...it would be nice to see you guys at the Sycamore Pioneer show the 2nd week in August...not too far for any of us.

steve, while the compliment is nice, i really arent that versed with this model. but, it still requires spark and fuel to run right? im sure it could be made a runner. and the switches are fixable.... i cant imagine the electrical being that complicated, especially if armed with a wiring diagram.

as far as the route 26 ohio thing........

post-4321-0-72493400-1331940753.png

and sycamore should be a go this year. i think ive done every fuel pump on all our vehicles so i think im good........

Sarge

Message sent....

Sarge