Sign in to follow this  
Jamie Tater Hiers

Lawn Ranger

Jamie Tater Hiers

I got a lawn ranger for my daughter. The tractor is complete other than it has no engine. The ID tag says its a L156 with the research I have done it looks like the L156 took a Tecumseh H60. The tractor I have has a key switch for electric start. So I was first wondering if my information about the engine is correct and second I am looking for the correct one that is complete with everything including the fuel tank. Can someone please help. Thanks Tater

• Like 1

pfrederi

You are correct the original engine was a tecumseh H60 spec 75117.. Any H60 or HH60 will fit as will H7and HH70 ( I have an HH70 on mine). In Tecumsehs the H series are Aluminum block with steel sleeve in the cylinder, the HH series are heavier duty with a cast iron block, the number indicates horse power (60=6hp 70=7hp). The gas tanks are somewhat unique to Wheel Horse and show up on ebay periodically.

Some here have put on Kohler 8hp and may be able to give you info about that conversion.

Welcome...my L-107 is my favorite of all my horses....

Just followed the link above...The H55 (5.5hp) would also fit. Might have an issue making it electric start however

bowtiebutler956

Sounds like a great project for your daughter. :thumbs: I'm working on a Bantam for my 7yr old son. One more thing. :wwp:

Matt :flags-texas:

Paul D.

:WRS:

Jamie Tater Hiers

Lets try this again. After consulting with my IPhone tech. WH Jason maybe this will work.

B52D29B7.jpgFA0B85F0.jpg

• Like 1

Vinylguy

You have a nice seat. Is it an original?

My seat is ugly as heck but very comfy.

IMG_8172.jpg

Sparky

Nice straight lookin Ranger. It looks from the pics like you have a fleet of engine-less machines :scratchead: .

Mike..........

Jamie Tater Hiers

Yeah Sparky..... you are partialy correct.. LOL. I have these tractors here that are engineless. But the engines are in the back on the bench getting worked on.

6D1566CF.jpg

But I do have three that are complete and running. One of the is even equiped with an awsome boat seat..... LOL

C54CD695.jpg

• Like 1

Jamie Tater Hiers

To answer your question Vinylguy...... to my knowledge (which isn't much) I believe that this is an original seat.

wh-jason

wow i got some credit in this post :ychain:

Jamie Tater Hiers

Yeah I gave you some credit. This IPHONE was about three seconds away from being smashed with a hammer. I guess technology is not my strong point. :techie-eureka:

WH4ME

LETS GO PENS!!!!!!!!!! :bow-blue:

Jamie Tater Hiers

Thats right :bow-blue:

wh-jason

before u smash it...trade me your iphone 4S for my iphone 4, then you can comence to smashin

Kelly

I'm going to say no on the seat being original, they didn't use the white center in 67, and that has squares in the white not 1" spaced lines, but I would use it anyway it looks nice.

VinsRJ

I would go with a Kohler if you can.... either a K161 or K181 would be a really nice up-grade to the Tech H60.

BTW, that Ranger looks to be a nice starting point..... keep the pics coming of the project!

AMC RULES

Yeah, some great project picts there Tater, thanks for not bouncin' the phone on us. :thumbs:

littleredrider

Kelly my 67 was all original when I got it and had the same seat..

I'd look for a K181 for it, they are torquey little buggers. Hard to believe that it's only 2 horse more than the Tecky 6. Guess it's comparing miniature pony to a Clydesdale...

2900955960043830172S600x600Q85.jpg

bowtiebutler956

Thats an awesome collection you've got there tater, keep up the good work! :thumbs:

Matt :flags-texas:

jusjeepn

Seeing as how I put that seat on there, Kelly is right. That seat is off of a sears tractor. It is in very nice condition but far from original. Tater, I have your belt guard. I think Jason is going to pick it up for you! I have a HH60 on the bench that I got for that tractor. If I'd known you wanted original, I would have kept the K181 and given you the HH60. The HH60 is in pieces on the bench but is complete with a new gasket kit, piston, rings and valves. Only needs a carb kit and put together. Over the course of the last year, I have tried numerous times to get a tank for the Ranger but failed every time. Good luck with that. Maybe Bill will have one since he seems to produce W/H tractors and parts from thin air! :) I'd put that recoil start k181 on the B80 and make that 4 runners while you finish the other electric start k181. :thumbs2:

whfan74

Correct me if I am wrong but aren't the hood decals on that LR circa 1968? :eusa-think:

Vinylguy

As far as I have been able to find info on the 1968 was the only year the Lawn Ranger used the long side hood decals.

All other years used the 2.125 inch square decals on the front end of the hood sides.

:confusion-confused:

pfrederi

67 had 2 spoke steering wheel and flat belt guard (meaning the deck pulleys would chew up the Lawn Ranger decal) 66 had 2 spoke wheel and a recessed area in the belt guard for the decal. 1968 3 spoke wheel and the flat belt guard.