Sign in to follow this  
kloe0699

Just a quick question...

kloe0699

What is the difference between a C-160 and a C-161?

rmaynard

C-160 was made from 1974 through 1977. It had a solid mount engine with a large oil pan. The C-161 was made from 1978 to 1979. The engine had a smaller oil pan and mounted in a rubber cushioned cradle. Other differences were that the C-160 had the battery mounted on the frame, and the C-161 had the battery mounted behind the dash. The C-160 had the gas tank mounted behind the dash and the C-161 had it under the seat. There were other differences in the sheet metal mainly in the dash tower/hood stand area. Just to name a few differences...

EDIT: I forgot to add that the C-161 also came in a twin cylinder model using a Briggs & Stratton engine.

kloe0699

Thanks Bob.

kloe0699

The twin/single is what got me wondering. I didn't know the other differences you mentioned either though. Thanks again. :thanks:

Callen

The C161 Twin is a blackhood

Tim

I thought the black hoods were the Cxx5 models

I have a 79 C141 and the hood is the same as as the C series made through the 70's

I thought the black hoods started in '80

I believe everything above is true except the black hood info

Kelly

exception to the rule, the 1979 C-161 TWIN was a black hood, but still used the old style dash, and the hood was fiberglass, the C-161 single was still the old style C hood

Tim

eating crow here

just looking around on Ebay and saw a C161 hood for sale. It was the black hood style

learn something new every day

crow tastes like Sh#t

Kelly

Like I said only the TWIN was the black hood, just add some salt and pepper it helps I know I've eat my share. :hide:

can whlvr

ya ive eaten my share too,ill have to try thr salt and pepper :ychain:

JackC

There were two version of the C-161. One had the single cylinder 16 horse Kohler engine, metal hood and fender and looked similar to the C-160.

The other C-161 had a twin cylinder Briggs and Stratton engine, and the first plastic hood and fender. It was the first of the black hoods. The plastic hood and fender C-161 was made in 1978 and 1979. The plastic hood was replaced by a metal hood in 1980 but the plastic fender was used for a few more years.

JackC

My plastic 1979 C-161

Kelly

If you look at the dash you will see it is still the same as the older C's, that hood will not fit a normal black hood, By the way sharp tractor.

kloe0699

If you look at the dash you will see it is still the same as the older C's, that hood will not fit a normal black hood, By the way sharp tractor.

I agree, nice lookin tractor. I've had my heart set on a C-160 for a while. Then I noticed the C-161 singles were similar, now I have another tractor on my wish list.! :hide: