Sign in to follow this  
rmaynard

Front tire recommendations

rmaynard

I am restoring my 1968 Commando 8, and it does not have it's original tires on the front. So I want to find some that closely resemble the originals. The parts list calls for 16 x 5.50 x 8, and as everyone knows, that size is no longer available. So the question is, what is the next best size?

I want a sawtooth tread pattern. How much different is a 4.80 x 4.00 x 8?

My rims are 3-5/8 x 8.

This is what I am trying to find.

post-2221-0-47921600-1331554445.jpg

(picture courtesy of whfan74)

kpinnc

Bob,

4.80 x 8 will be quite a bit more narrow than the originals. I have bought a pair, and there is a big difference IMHO. Go with the 16x6.50-8, if you can find them. It's much closer to the real thing.

MikesRJ

Here's some recommendations:

http://www.google.com/#q=16x6.50-8+tires&hl=en&sa=N&tbs=p_ord:p&tbm=shop&ei=DQteT57yIsnz0gHlsqDkDw&ved=0CJQBELsNKAE&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=36039f6e2eaf2863&biw=1920&bih=851

CasualObserver

This has been discussed a few times in the past. TT gave a link to these 5.7 inch wide golf cart tires

Duro-HF232.jpg

I'd think they're a suitable replacement. Here's the old thread.

Don1977

That's what I have on my C-120 . I bought mine at Northern about 1989 they are 6 ply rated and still look good.

Imgp1311.jpg

• Like 1

sorekiwi

I havent seen these tires in the flesh, but the tread pattern looks close and they do a 5.70-8 which should be close on size.

Choose between the V47 or the V49.

http://www.tiresfromeurope.com/products/V47.asp

http://www.tiresfromeurope.com/products/V49.asp

No sizes or prices listed on their website, but I'd call "TiresUnlimited" (www.Tiresunlimited.com) and check availabilty. I have bought several sets of Vredesein tri-ribs and have been very happy with them, and the prices were good.

rmaynard

5.70-8's are 18.1" in diameter.

16 x 6.50 or 5.50 are 16". I had considered the 5.70's until I saw the diameter.

will the 4x8 tire fit on the rim that has 16x5.50 -8

littleredrider

I had a set of these but never used them. They look similar to the originals I think. Plus they are radials to give a better ride.... :roll: always cracks me up when they say that. How in the he!! are you gonna notice a better ride bouncing up and down on rough terrain?? jackwagons....

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CRR-519056/?rtype=10

rmaynard

I had a set of these but never used them. They look similar to the originals I think.

Just to satisfy my own curiousity, I had a 4.80 x 4.00 x 8 mounted on my wheel by the local dealer that I usually buy all my tires from, and it was way too skinny. My rim is a 3.75" x 8", and the fattest part of the tire was narrower than the widest part of the rim. The tread portion was quite narrow.

I think that look may be okay on an RJ or Suburban, but not on the Commando.

littleredrider

I have to check, but I think I have two sets of the sneakers your looking for. One set is on a 1055, they are in great shape, good tread, and don't think they have any cracking in them. I'll see if I can get some shots of them....havta look for the other set...

rmaynard

I have to check, but I think I have two sets of the sneakers your looking for. One set is on a 1055, they are in great shape, good tread, and don't think they have any cracking in them. I'll see if I can get some shots of them....havta look for the other set...

That would be great. PM me and let me know.