Sign in to follow this  
leeave96

Trifling Day with the Wheelhorse - READY TO SELL 'EM ALL!!!!

leeave96

I got the bright idea I would take the RD deck off the fine 314-8 and mount my grader blade. I could not get the rigid link attached. I must have spent two hours wrestling with it. I couldn't get the top of the link into the lift bracket - same one that lifts the mower deck. I tried it in the same lift bracket that the clevis hitch goes - very easy to install, but wouldn't lift the grader blade. I also tried to get the chain and attachment of it off the lift bracket - there is a hitch pin that pulls straight down. The #$%@ pin wouldn't come out no matter how hard I pulled.

After many busted knuckles, some blood, lots of cursing - I've called it a day before douse gas on the tractor and burn it to the ground!

Anyone got an easy method to attached the grader blade rigid link to the tractor?

Any help would be much appreciated.

OFF MY SOAPBOX!!!!

Thanks!

Bill

• Like 1

stevebo

Where are you hooking the hard link to? There is an adjustment using a trunion under there...

Sparky

I removed the plate just under the dash on my GT-1600 for easier access to where the upper part of the link goes. Still a tough spot to reach but much easier than trying to get at it from below.

Mike.........

Rollerman

Easyest way is to pull the dash plate off below the steering wheel & come in through the top.

Your still going to scratch up your knuckles, but you'll be able to see what your doing better.

It is a pain getting a solid lift link in place on the 300/400/500 series machines!

(Edit-Mike beat me to it, must be a fast typer!)

AMC RULES

After many busted knuckles, some blood, lots of cursing - I've called it a day before douse gas on the tractor and burn it to the ground!

Thanks!

Bill

:ROTF: I think we've all been there Bill.

Sometimes it's better for everyone involved, to just step away from the tractor before someone(you)gets hurt. :auto-ambulance:

Days like this...probably just end up setting your pant leg on fire anyway. :angry-extinguishflame:

Forest Road

Is it really any easier to install a solid lift link on a C series vs. my 300s?

Sparky

On the early "C"s there is less shetmetal/body parts to get in the way. Later "C"s like the 78-79 machines had more sheetmetal to get in the way and the 300-400's are the worse as far as getting access goes.

Mike............

can whlvr

my 312 h is almost imposible,the valve is in there too so i had to use long needle nose,sthe grader is going on the c160,where as said its much easyier to get too

JimD

If what these guys told ya doesn't work,make sure ya get pics of the bonfire. :ychain:

I have had my moments with decks and snow blades not cooperating, and those are the easy ones to change. Step away, think it over, and you'll whip it in the end. Sometimes these things want to make me :scared-yipes: grow hair! :lol:

Wheel-N-It

Sorry to hear you had such a rough day Bill. I hope if mounting a grader blade is that bad of a project, you will decide to leave it on permanetly. You have another Horse to mow with right? BTW I really enjoyed meeting you. Too bad we are not closer, I could give you some help putting that blade on........................or at least get you some bandaids for when you skin your knuckles :auto-ambulance:

Steve B.

Where does the mid-mount blade connect to the lift arm? I know I had a bugger of a time getting the flag for my blower in place and pinned. Not a lot of room under there.

I can sympathize about the skinned knuckles. Sometimes it pays to just walk away and cool the temper with beer.

leeave96

Ok - the bleeding has stopped, the Advil seems to be working - now in planning mode for next step.

I think I'm going to forget about the solid link and use a chain to raise and lower the blade. I may try a solid link like it's done on the front blade set-up, we'll see.

How many of you guys are using the solid link AND down pressure? I'm not sure I need down pressure - especially using it with a manual lift vs. hydro.

Thanks!

Bill

Wheel-N-It

Bill, I dont have experience with down pressure on a WheelHorse, but if there is a chance of hitting something that could instantly stop forward motion, I think I'd try just the weight of the impliment first. On my big tractor the weight of the impliment is plenty good for using the blade ( no down pressure on most 3 point systems ), but of course just the blade alone weighs more than a WheelHorse. Can you somehow add more weight to your grader blade?

specialwheelhorse

I realise this is a NO NO !! but I use a chain and if I want a little down pressure

my feet seem to work quit well.

JIM In Texas

Can even angle a bit from side to side.

can whlvr

solid link with the hydro isnt that great,its very hard to set it where you want it and on hills and bumps it doesnt float over it digs and stops the tractor,on a manual you can push when needed then let it float the rest of the time,im thinking of making a way to attach a paif of solid cement blocks to my grader to rip with the teeth i made insted of the solid link

leeave96

solid link with the hydro isnt that great,its very hard to set it where you want it and on hills and bumps it doesnt float over it digs and stops the tractor,on a manual you can push when needed then let it float the rest of the time,im thinking of making a way to attach a paif of solid cement blocks to my grader to rip with the teeth i made insted of the solid link

That is why I use the grader blade on my 314-8, because it's manual lift and the blade ain't very heavy to lift. I'll probably revisit this #^%$ grader blade linkage this weekend.

Thanks!

Bill

MaineDad

On the early "C"s there is less shetmetal/body parts to get in the way. Later "C"s like the 78-79 machines had more sheetmetal to get in the way and the 300-400's are the worse as far as getting access goes.

Mike............

That's why I like my 1977 C-120 the best. I can easily reach my hand in from either side and access everything. I swear these C series are the sweet spot for the Wheel Horse...

Forest Road

I use the same lift link on my 50"grader and my plow. All on a 312-8. As for down pressure I rest my foot on the lift lever. And I prefer the manual over hydro for the dial a height feature. Consistent depth control every time! I don't advise putting your feet on the blade for down pressure. If you lip off the rear of the blade you are going to the hospital.