Sign in to follow this  
Rollerman

Gas prices to high, get a Sears electric

Rollerman

Some of you that have been around RS for awhile may remember when I bought this little Sears Electric LT.

Laugh all you want, it hasn't cost me a time in gas to mow with....just plug it in when your done.

Here's a pic when I first got it, Thats my stepson Tay thinking he owns it back then.

0402091804.jpg

Seeing how gas prices are getting steep again I figured I'd pull it out of storage, give it some attention & put it back in service this comeing mowing season.

Cleaning the deck.....look no belts!

2012-03-11_17-22-10_632.jpg

2012-03-11_17-21-53_907.jpg

Cleaning up some the connections & replaceing some of the old wireing.

2012-03-11_17-22-51_742.jpg

2012-03-11_17-22-41_745.jpg

Now trying to find where the broken tensioner spring came from...

2012-03-11_17-40-56_772.jpg

Maybe I'll get with Terry & see if decals can be reproduced & have this LT refinished sometime in the near future.

It's kind of a rare oddball.

AMC RULES

Is it quiet to operate Steve? :scratchead:

Rollerman

It's not bad Craig, nothing like a gas engine....more of a loud buzz with some belt/idler noise between the drive motor & trans.

You can talk over the noise while it's running.

Sparky

I would love to stumble across one like that. How many batteries does it take? Have you had to replace them yet? I bet they are not cheap. My brother in-law has an electric golf cart at the campground we all go to and it was between $500-$600 for new batteries...OUCH!!

Mike............

Steve B.

That's a neat tractor. I like the electric mowing deck. Here is a link to a fellow who converted a Simplicity to electric.

http://ecorenovator.org/ecorider-snowblower-works-great/

He even ran a snowblower with it after conversion.

Rollerman

I would love to stumble across one like that. How many batteries does it take? Have you had to replace them yet? I bet they are not cheap. My brother in-law has an electric golf cart at the campground we all go to and it was between $500-$600 for new batteries...OUCH!!

Mike............

Mike it uses three deep cycle 12V batteries.

Really not all that bad & I got them free from my father inlaw when I purchased the Sears.

mms_picture-27.jpg

whfan74

Maybe I should mow with mine this summer too!

AMC RULES

We need a video once it's up and running again. :popcorn:

Wheel-N-It

Back in the 70's General Electric made a riding lawn tractor style mower. The mowing deck was front mounted with three seperate electric motors. One for each blade. Also it had a golf cart style electric motor that powered the tractor. The lift for the mowing deck was electric (of course). I knew someone who owned one and he would let me mow his grass with it because I thought it was so cool. He was a mechanic, and in return would always help me work on one of my cars or trucks. From what I remember, it reminded me of an International Harvester Cub Cadet, with a similar design, and paint sceme. I think it was called the Elec-Trak.

jay in nc

back in 74 my jd 110 was stolen we bought a sears 10 hp. gas tractor thet looked just like yours it was a nice mower for the 3/4 acre we had at that time. yours is nicer. jay

jay in nc

oh and i forgot got lagt mag today & they have a feature on one. jay

Rollerman

Really...the "Sears Electric"?

I'll have to watch the magazine rack at TSC.

I was a subscriber for a few years but gave up since the lady at the local PO liked to cram the mags in our PO box.

Update on the Sears electric though......one of the brush springs is broken.

So at the moment I'm tring to locate brush springs for a mid 70ies vintage Prestolite electric motor.....any ideas?

Vinylguy

Maybe I'll get with Terry & see if decals can be reproduced & have this LT refinished sometime in the near future.

It's kind of a rare oddball.

Send me pictures and dimensions Rollerman

I will hopefully have some time to set them up. They look pretty simple

Wheel-N-It

So at the moment I'm tring to locate brush springs for a mid 70ies vintage Prestolite electric motor.....any ideas?

If I remember correctly, Prestolite made all the starters for old (60's and 70's)Chrysler cars and trucks. You may be able to find what you need out of an old Plymouth or Dodge starter motor.

Jim_M

Auto Electric in Fort Wayne...They have everything.

jimt1971

Makes me want to get my A65 Wheel Horse Electric riding mower out this year and try to use it. I had it at last year's big show. 5th gear is pretty fast on that one.

Jim