Sign in to follow this  
Prater

Onions and Potatoes are in...

Prater

That pepper is no where to be found after I eat any chilli...LOL

• Like 1

PPGman

Thats a great looking garden Steve. Looks like you'll be eating from it early this yr. Last year i picked up a seeder made by earthway ( maybe you have seen them). It worked so good i made up a hitch to mount it to a wheel horse ( primarly to plant corn) and it works great. Comes with different seed plates to do corn, peas, lettuce, mellons, ect. It cut my seed time down more than half, and really saves on the backache at the end of the day. I think i paid around $100bucks for it shipped, well worth the money if you garden every yr. :)

Prater

I have been looking for one used. I am sure i will have one for the fall planting. the local nursery where I get my plants has a couple mounted together whith all-thread between the wheels to make two rows at once.

IthacaJeff

There is somethin' missing in that garden. . . rocks! Man, that is a different kind of

dirt for sure out there in the midwest.

Jeff

Prater

If I can find it locally, I plan to add Azomite rock dust to the soil...Is your soil pretty rocky? It can be here in places but luckily this property had already been cleared of rock.

Prater

Angie sent some pics to me today. She pulled some radishes and a sample of the salad onions. Anyone have a pointer on keeping radishes after they are pulled. Should we hang them like onions?

IMG_0680.jpg

IMG_0679.jpg

• Like 1

Rooster

Best way to keep fresh radishes? Don't let me find them!

best way to keep them fresh for a couple of weeks is in a jar of water.

Longer than that? I dunno?

Prater

Here is a radish from the garden...

Garden001.jpg

Rooster

NICE!

Prater

Added more peppers, eggplant, okra, watermelon and canelope today. Working on the grass that has grown up in a few rows, its gonna take some time though...

Garden006.jpg

Garden008.jpg

Garden007.jpg

Garden009.jpg

Prater

Just had the first batch of Sugar Snap Peas for supper tonight. Ohh they were so good. I also vacuum sealed and threw another batch in the deep freeze for later.

Prater

Worked on some weed control and a bit of expansion for the garden. Looks like we will have some squash by the end of the week.

Garden.jpg

• Like 1

Prater

Starting to harvest Squash, Zuchini, and Cucumbers...

Garden013.jpg

Prater

More pics of tonights work. Planted some cherry tomato, serano peppers, honey dew melon, and sweet potato.

IMG_2555.jpg

IMG_2549.jpg

IMG_2567.jpg

IMG_2545.jpg

IMG_2562.jpg

Angie hopped on the Wheelhorse and had some fun...

IMG_2572.jpg

IMG_2573.jpg

farmer

:text-coolphotos: and great veg, you have a real talent in the garden Steven. Whereas you have green fingers, I'm just green with envy...peppers in May....wow.

Keep the pictures coming please, we're lovin' 'em. :thumbs:

Prater

Angie cooked a pork roast last night with the potatoes we dug, they were small but tasted wonderful. She also picked a good mess of green beans and boiled them to go along with the roast. Its making all the hard work worth it.

IMG_2557.jpg

IMG_2559.jpg

IMG_2561.jpg

IMG_2563.jpg

Wheel Horse Kid

Man, you have got one heck of a green thumb! Good Job!

Prater

Well, I dont know if I have bad news or good news. the storms last night dumped a lot of hail, I have not made it to the garden yet to check but there was golfball size hail reported about a block away. I do know that the wind knocked down some power poles a few hundred feet from the property so I have a pretty horrible feeling right now. More storms tonight and tomorrow...I may just wait until after they are all done before I check, dont want to ruin my weekend yet.

Prater

The plants sure took a beating but I think most will survive. My tomato plants are a bit curled and I may lose a couple...

On a better note we dug one row of potato and pulled some onions and cucumbers the other night and canned them. We dug a second row of potato and plan to can them tomorrow. Here is the weekends take:

IMG_2586.jpg

IMG_2587.jpg

IMG_2588.jpg

Here is 8 jars of Yukon gold Potato and 2 jars of Bread and Butter Pickles, I also canned the bread and butter mixture for use when the next batch of cucumbers make

IMG_2589.jpg

I didnt plant beets, but somehow i managed to pull this one from the garden...LOL

IMG_2585.jpg

farmer

Nothing you can do about the weather.....just grin and bear, I hope the damage isn't to bad for you.

Ouch, not sure if thats a healthy complextion or somewhere to cook off your veg. :hide:

Prater

She was burned so bad, her complexion really does not take the sun well...

312Hydro

That's one beautiful (and bountiful) garden you have there! Sunburn is not fun. My wife uses a sunburn medication with aloe and it helps.

JamesBe1

Wow, what a fantastic garden. I wish mine were half as large. I love the idea of using the pony tiller to weed in between the rows. I think I'm going to try that next year.

BTW, have you ever tried planting the potatoes in a vertical planter? This is my second year doing so. The first year was more of an experiment to see if it works. It did! It makes harvesting pretty easy. The first year was only one planter, this year is three. Next year will probably be at least five.

Has anybody else here ever tried it? I'd love to hear your results.

• Like 1

Prater

What are you using to plant verticle? Old tires? I thought about it but dont like the idea of what may leach out of the tires and into the soil. We have been lucky this year with very little pesticides, mostly organic Neem Oil to ward off the bugs and lots of frogs introduced to the garden. Everywhere I go to weed a frog jumps out and takes off to another part of the garden.

Rooster

Wow, what a fantastic garden. I wish mine were half as large. I love the idea of using the pony tiller to weed in between the rows. I think I'm going to try that next year.

BTW, have you ever tried planting the potatoes in a vertical planter? This is my second year doing so. The first year was more of an experiment to see if it works. It did! It makes harvesting pretty easy. The first year was only one planter, this year is three. Next year will probably be at least five.

Has anybody else here ever tried it? I'd love to hear your results.

PICS?