kpinnc

I've had a couple members ask about my lift that's on a couple other posts. I told them I would make a thread to show the build, so here goes.

I had seen similar lifts on a snowmobile forum, but it didn't move. When you put the snowmobile on it, it was where it was until you finished. I wanted something more like a kid's wagon, that I could move around in the shop, or even roll outside to paint a tractor on. So with that in mind...

I took some small 6-inch wheels and front axle from a junk mower. Here's the front axle I made up:

muledrive293.jpg

Using 2-inch channel, I made the frame up:

muledrive291.jpg

Like the snowmobile lift, I used two parallel racks. this was the first mock up:

muledrive294.jpg

Then I made the "carrier", so it would fit any front-engine wheel horse. Almost all of these tractors are the same size between the foot rest bar and the tranny plate. That's where the carrier would need to attach.

518-HE010-1.jpg

IM000956.jpg

I wanted it to positively hold the tractor frame, so I could take a tractor down to the bare frame, or start assembly of one the same way. The carrier locks onto the frame with a modified mid hitch:

muledrive305.jpg

All the pivots are on 3/4 hardened bolts. A little red paint, and here we are:

016.jpg

I used a $ 20 trailer tongue lift from TSC, and used it to raise the racks. It pushes from the back and passes through the braces on the racks.

022.jpg

I had originally planned on using an electric motor to turn the cylinder, but never found one with the torque to do it. Unloaded was fine, but with 500lbs on it, it just wasn't enough. So I made it manual, and made a "floating support" for the crank.

004.jpg

I used a UV joint from a Honda 4-wheeler at the crank:

005-1.jpg

I made a sliding brace to catch the racks at full up. It holds the racks up even if the jack breaks, and has to be pulled up to lower the tractor:

020.jpg

And I made full up stops so I never could go past the "push" side of the jack:

023.jpg

I also wanted to be able to steer this around, so I took the steering parts from the junk mower too:

024.jpg

I made a "t" handle, but wanted to be able to tow this with another tractor too. Just pop the pin and the hitch is ready, or stow it for pushing by hand:

002.jpg

001.jpg

So, use a set of ramps like this to drive a tractor on, and raise the tractor. Then remove the ramps and you're all set:

2010-06-02143548.jpg

It raises the tractor about 30 inches, which was just right. No more broken back from tedious stuff: With the frame locked in, even rocking the stand over on it's side won't let the tractor fall off. It is VERY stable.

017.jpg

025.jpg

And that's it. It works great, and I wouldn't sell it for anything as long as I'm restoring tractors. Patents pending... Hehe

• Like 6
  • Excellent 2

bowtiebutler956

Nice Work! :thumbs:

Matt :flags-texas:

dclarke

Kevin, That is Nice! Looks like it's very well thought out. Thanks for posting this.

AMC RULES

Well thought out Kevin, you should patent it. :text-datsphatyo:

smoreau

I have been thinking of building one of these for a while. My knees are not what they use to be and I'm only 38. I like the use of a trailer jack for the lift mechanism. My shop has a wood floor and I wanted to build it into the floor so when its not in use I have more room. Looks like I need to get motivated to get it done :handgestures-thumbupright:

Hydro

That's really impressive!

• Like 1

AMC RULES

That's really impressive!

Gary...when you're right, you're right. :teasing-poke: There...feel better now? :ROTF:

massey

Nice work, I like that you made it mobile.

KC9KAS

That is a very nice looking, user-friendly piece of equipment.

You put a lot of time into the thought and building of this lift.

Your build process with pictures is very good.

JBow

Ever think about building a few of these to sell ? They look awesome !

Jack..

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Ever think about building a few of these to sell ? They look awesome !

Jack..

Seriously? :popcorn:

ben06351

Sweet Lift.

Martin

very nice lift, great idea. like others i have bad knees and my back is killing me. its getting harder and harder to work on these things without increasing the pain.......

been thinking of doing something like this or a rotisserie to get them up higher and easier on me. at the moment an upside down 5 gallon bucket to sit on is my best friend, saves the knees, but is still a pain to get up and down everytime you need to move to get a something.

mrmowitall

I've had a couple members ask about my lift that's on a couple other posts. I told them I would make a thread to show the build, so here goes.

I had seen similar lifts on a snowmobile forum, but it didn't move. When you put the snowmobile on it, it was where it was until you finished. I wanted something more like a kid's wagon, that I could move around in the shop, or even roll outside to paint a tractor on. So with that in mind...

I took some small 6-inch wheels and front axle from a junk mower. Here's the front axle I made up:

muledrive293.jpg

Using 2-inch channel, I made the frame up:

muledrive291.jpg

Like the snowmobile lift, I used two parallel racks. this was the first mock up:

muledrive294.jpg

Then I made the "carrier", so it would fit any front-engine wheel horse. Almost all of these tractors are the same size between the foot rest bar and the tranny plate. That's where the carrier would need to attach.

518-HE010-1.jpg

IM000956.jpg

I wanted it to positively hold the tractor frame, so I could take a tractor down to the bare frame, or start assembly of one the same way. The carrier locks onto the frame with a modified mid hitch:

muledrive305.jpg

All the pivots are on 3/4 hardened bolts. A little red paint, and here we are:

016.jpg

I used a $ 20 trailer tongue lift from TSC, and used it to raise the racks. It pushes from the back and passes through the braces on the racks.

022.jpg

I had originally planned on using an electric motor to turn the cylinder, but never found one with the torque to do it. Unloaded was fine, but with 500lbs on it, it just wasn't enough. So I made it manual, and made a "floating support" for the crank.

004.jpg

I used a UV joint from a Honda 4-wheeler at the crank:

005-1.jpg

I made a sliding brace to catch the racks at full up. It holds the racks up even if the jack breaks, and has to be pulled up to lower the tractor:

020.jpg

And I made full up stops so I never could go past the "push" side of the jack:

023.jpg

I also wanted to be able to steer this around, so I took the steering parts from the junk mower too:

024.jpg

I made a "t" handle, but wanted to be able to tow this with another tractor too. Just pop the pin and the hitch is ready, or stow it for pushing by hand:

002.jpg

001.jpg

So, use a set of ramps like this to drive a tractor on, and raise the tractor. Then remove the ramps and you're all set:

2010-06-02143548.jpg

It raises the tractor about 30 inches, which was just right. No more broken back from tedious stuff: With the frame locked in, even rocking the stand over on it's side won't let the tractor fall off. It is VERY stable.

017.jpg

025.jpg

And that's it. It works great, and I wouldn't sell it for anything as long as I'm restoring tractors. Patents pending... Hehe

Nice Job!

Nice Job!

Steve B.

That is absolutely amazing! :jaw:

I've wanted to build a lift for some time. I've never even conceived one quite this elaborate. Time to hit the drawing board.

Jake Kuhn

Wow that is nice! I would put a patent on that :ychain: Jake

speedyleedy

Great job on your lift jake ,you have a awsome idea !

Bill D

Love that lift.  Any chance you have a set of plans for it? 

peter lena

@kpinnc, good work on that , makes me think that you were looking for a long time answer to a problem. not that I have much room either , but most of my problem answers, come from roller stooling around my problem , and seeing a possible gain . thanks for your input / ideas , pete  

Handy Don

I appreciate that you had a clear set of goals and designed to achieve them, including adapting some parts in unexpected ways--like the trailer tongue lift!

Well done, sir!

kpinnc
8 hours ago, Bill D said:

Love that lift.  Any chance you have a set of plans for it? 

Unfortunately no sir, I don't. Sometimes I just get an idea and run with it. 

I've made a few improvements to it over the years, and likely will continue to do so.

It's on flat free wheels with casters now up front, and I still have plans to modify the pull bar. It will be easier to move with the casters if the lever is fixed to only move up and down.

IMG_20210803_222853982.jpg

Edited by kpinnc
  • Like 3