Sign in to follow this  
seth0804

Charging issue

seth0804

Hello, I have repowered my c81 with a 16hp kolher engine and now it wil not charge I think. the amp gauge show charging, but when I take the battery cable off the engine stops running. I thought that it should stay running. I changed the stator now I have good ac current out of it 10-15 ac at idle. the regulator is only about 2-5dc current at idle. I think thats fine, but when the engine is revved it still stops running with the battery cable off. Could it be a bad key switch? any thoughts....

Save Old Iron

This is what you need at full throttle

StatorRegoutputmeasure3-1.jpg

Around 30 volts AC at the stator output (AC terminals at the regulator) and approximately 14.5 volts DC at the regulator B+ terminal.

When you remove the battery cable, the tractor should run on the 14.5 output from the regulator. If you are correct in saying the B+ output from the regulator is only 2 to 5 volts at idle, the tractor will not run on that low of a voltage from the charge system. Investigate the charge system using the diagram above as a reference.

seth0804

I am getting up to 40 volts on the stator at full throttle, but the engine will not stay running when disconnected from the battery.

rmaynard

When you disconnect the cable from the battery, you are also disconnecting the power to the ignition switch and therefore no longer supplying power to the coil.

Temporarily connect a jumper wire directly from the output (12v +) of the regulator/rectifier to the (+) side of the coil. Then when you disconnect the battery the engine should still run if the regulator is working.

meadowfield

if you have a DVM or voltmeter, then measure the running voltage on tickover and full revs.

Tickover should be 13V or higher even on a fairly weak battery and as high as 14.4V at full revs. I don't trust disconnecting any part of the reg when running !

mark

seth0804

I did the test and if I am using the voltmeter correctly at full throttle I am at 20DC is that possible? or is it 14DC on a fully charged battery and my reads 20DC because it is charging my weak battery?

rmaynard

20 volts is too high. Check to make sure that the regulator/rectifier is properly grounded. A poor ground can cause over voltage.