Sign in to follow this  
leeave96

Moldboard Plowing

leeave96

Well, I sold my fine moldboard plow and disc - trying to clear out some space in my basement. I haven't used a moldboard plow since I fell into a really nice Troybilt 8hp Kohler Magnum (cast iron engine) powered tiller. To boot, I've got a smaller Simplicity rear tine tiller too for when the garden gets overgrown.

So I've got a Brinly 10 inch plow I have kept in reserve in the event there is EVER time to find my way to a plow day event - rusty w/cob webs too. Last time I used this beast was plowing with my 520H and I broke the lift cable - ouch, price on a new one now is around 30ish bucks - double ouch!!!

So I rid myself of the shinny plow and disc and my luck would have it, my Brother calls and says - need you to plow a garden for Mom. I says, why don't we use a tiller. He basically says - you are a dumb @#%$@, hook the rusty plow to one of them Wheelhorses and get'r done. What can say - it's my Mom.

I'll be posting some pics of the plow and what I am doing to it over the next few days, including plowing - stay tuned.

A couple of questions though - anyone ever snapped a lift cable plowing like I did? I think it happened when I was lifting the plow out of the sod. I don't know if I am going to use my trusty 314-8 or my mighty 520H, but my real challenge is this ground has NEVER seen a garden. I'll be plowing virgin sod and that will be tough.

Again - stay tuned.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!

Bill

Rollerman

If your cutting through some tuff soil it does put a lot of strain on the cable puling it up.

There have been times pulling my 8" turn plow I would stop before pulling the plow up & lightly ride the clutch with the tractor in reverse.

Again this was only in some really tuff dirt I was turning.

AMC RULES

I vote you use the mighty 520 Bill. :popcorn:

squonk

I just got a Brinly 10 " this past weekend in case I ever make it to a plow day. Bought it from Boris and Natasha from the Bullwinkle cartoons! :scared-eek: Going to hook it to my Power King 2414. Hydraulics are my friend! :):thumbs: :banana-wrench:

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Bought it from Boris and Natasha from the Bullwinkle cartoons! :scared-eek:

:ROTF:

squonk

Bought it from Boris and Natasha from the Bullwinkle cartoons! :scared-eek:

I swear to God it was them. I kept looking around for their "Fearless Leader"! He was about 4 foot tall and 4 ft wide. He showed me the plow and said "Here's plow, me no use , you buy? She was dressed in black and over 6 foot tall!

:ROTF:

leeave96

So I put the moldboard plow on some saw horses and here's what I had to start with:

post-6085-0-51504500-1331303828.jpg

post-6085-0-89087900-1331303828.jpg

leeave96

Next I decided to smooth the moldboard - rid if of rust so the sod can come off, once I did this, I sprayed the moldboard with some silicone. I may get some slip plate from Tractor Supply tonight to put on it. BTW, Slip Plate is great for the underside of a mowing deck too.

Before and after pics:

post-6085-0-47992000-1331303977.jpg

post-6085-0-86023100-1331303977.jpg

leeave96

Next up was adjusting the coulter. It should only sway such that it is parallel with the landside of the plow and swing away from it. From one pic you can see the coulter is hitting the beam on the plow. Two pics show the coulter adjusted, parallel from the beam and able to swing away.

post-6085-0-27079500-1331304108.jpg

post-6085-0-58960900-1331304108.jpg

post-6085-0-90125400-1331304108.jpg

leeave96

Finally a little grease and oil:

post-6085-0-59708100-1331305038.jpg

post-6085-0-97992700-1331305038.jpg

leeave96

I mounted the moldboard plow to my mighty 520H and did a little plowing with it. It got dark, so right now here are the only pictures. I was plowing sod vs virgin soil, so the going was rough. I've got something to work with - with a tiller. One thing I have found with moldboard plowing is that if you run a tiller over the plowing, the soil/sod strength is pretty much done and the tiller will blast through the soil. I'll try to have more pics later.

Thanks!

Bill

leeave96

I mounted the moldboard plow to my mighty 520H and did a little plowing with it. It got dark, so right now here are the only pictures. I was plowing sod vs virgin soil, so the going was rough. I've got something to work with - with a tiller. One thing I have found with moldboard plowing is that if you run a tiller over the plowing, the soil/sod strength is pretty much done and the tiller will blast through the soil. I'll try to have more pics later.

Thanks!

Bill

post-6085-0-53065500-1331474136.jpg

post-6085-0-10131100-1331474137.jpg