Sign in to follow this  
Hodge71

Tranny Fluid vs. Motor oil experts opinions needed

Hodge71

Ok guys heres a question for the masses and I bet I will cause a ruckus over asking it but :hide: herree goes anyhow...... I have a rebuilt hydro motor for my 18 auto, I have a pump on the way from Kelly that I'm going to tear down and polish the slippers and swash plate per the manuals instructions, check tolerances and then install. The tranny case on the tractor hase been completely cleaned out and is dry after I checked to make sure my bull gear was indeed grade 8 bolts, the hydro lines are flushed completely also. When I reassemble this thing hopefully starting next week, what are the advantages of each type of lubricant? Its a 73 so I can go either way according to the owners manual. I will have a completely fresh system when I start so I can use either without having to worry about flushing or cleaning, something that has stopped a few on here in the past. Weigh in, let me know why 1 is better than the other and I will go that route. :text-thankyoublue: in advance guys for all your help.. :notworthy:

Jim_M

I can't say which is better, only that every D series I have ever owned ( and there have been quite a few) has had ATF in it.

meadowfield

I'm going for motor oil in my 73 GT14, unless anyone says otherwise. Modern motor oils are used in high temp situations and often with a shared transmission ( well 90% of euro and jap cars do ). I'd say they are more than up to the job - hence the change in spec...

My two penneth

Mark

wheeledhorseman

I'm not aware that there are any mechanical parts in the system that actually require ATF (unlike an automobile transmission).

My D-200 has oil as does my C-120 auto (both as per manufacturers instructions) though when I got the C-120 a previous owner had put ATF in it.

The C-120 auto tranny was a bit noisy under load so I flushed and changed to oil - much quieter now.

At the end of the day, as you say, you could use either but my choice would be oil.

Andy

Tap53

Maybe my posts aren't worth much for new info but, I have always used Hytran Ultra, in my D200, and tractors, its a 10wt. hydraulic transmission fluid, built to control moisture and air bubbles in hydraulics systems.

IMHO: engine oil can not take the high pressure of hydros, with out a high degree of foaming, where as hytran's specs are for moisture control and will not entrap air during

high pressures..

Tim

smoreau

I would go synthetic motor oil all the way with a clean system, Well worth it in my book and I will be using it in all my eatons 1100 trans axles also. I only put about 20 hours a year on each of my workers, so every other year they get changed. besides synthetic will not brake down if it gets hot like standard oil.

• Like 1

Tap53

Good Idea,

My D200 gets used daily and pretty hard so I change all fluids twice a year and every winter go through everything and also check pressures..

smoreau

Hydro gear in most zero turn mowers only want MOBIL 1. I can't remember the weight of oil but I think it was 20w40, That's what I have in my hydro gear pump in my 1/3rd scale Mini ambulance, It ways 1235 lbs. and it has about 500 hours on it with no problems. The system holds 4 gallons. Also they only want the filter changed every 300 hours and topped off with oil. There is no combustion in a hydro unit and any shavings should be caught in the filter. moister should be boiled off as hydro gear units can reach the lower 400 deg. marks and still operate fine. As for our wheel horse tractors I would say that mobil 1 would be a great choice for our tractors and should prolong ware for years to come!

wh-jason

my b-100 had atf in it when i got it. after an hour or so of mowing, when the trans got good and hot, it would slow down and almost not pull its self. i flushed the system, changed the filter and refilled with motor oil. now i can mow for 2 or 3 hours and have no problems.

meadowfield

I may add that I actually use motor oil in my 8 speed transmission, baed on the fact my cars use it in the transmission...

Only downside after 18 months is that it seems to find it's way out through the bottom of the tranny gasket - a very slow drip over time.

EP80 gear oil would not stand a chance of seeping out :ychain:

can whlvr

that way the wheelhorse would match a triumph,with oil leaking out :ychain:

Hydro

Jeff, have you looked at the Shell Donax? It seems to be designed for either purpose.

Kelly

I'm not expert but here is my opinion, I would run synthetic fluid, you can go with ATF or motor oil, I have been changing my fluid in my eatons to Mobil 1 motor oil, and I like how fast they are ready to use over the standard oil, but again that is me, I use Mobil 1 in my race cars and my trucks, and have forever, I'm a true fan of it.

ericj

i have a friend who was my dad's wheel horse dealer. he bought the dealership in 71 to 72 and dad bought our 1st 12 auto from him. he has told me that wheel horse told the dealers that if any of the hydro gear tractors came in with problems 1st thing to try was change the atf fluid for motor oil, this usually corrected the problems. so he says change ALL over to motor oil. just my 2 cents worth

Eric

can whlvr

i have 2 hydros,one with oil,one with atf,they both seem to work equally good,i think maintance is the key,change it often and do the filter then too

Hodge71

Well Ive gotten an email from a certain canuk got lotsa info from you guys on here...I guess with all the info on here pointing me to synthetic, looks like I'll be contacting Duke and putting an Amsoil order in..... Thanks for all the info guys. I hope this thing runs as good as I've been told a D should. Pump should be apart this week, FINALLY got the damn coupling off this morning with no damage to anything. I am now a believer in 50/50 tranny fluid and acetone.

Hydro

Can't go wrong with Amsoil. I think the key is "synthetic" D will stand for DETERMINED!

Jim_M

O'Rielly auto parts sells Amsoil now, might save you some $ in shipping.

Kelly

My local Auto zone sells Amsoil

kpinnc

I've never used Amsoil (sorry Duke), but I have heard good things about it.

On the other hand, I've been in my Bronco's transmission, which is 40+ years old. It had several service tags from a dealer on it when I got it, so I assume some kind of service schedule was kept. I have NEVER seen a cleaner transmission with less wear than this one. All the gears still had sharp edges, and the shafts were polished, but had zero wear, even when checked with a micrometer. All the bearings were also tight. In addition, my Bronco is the only tractor I have that is ready to go from start-up in cold weather, unlike others that use oil.

If my Eaton transmissions used ATF, I would use it with them as well. I will always use it in my Sundstrands, no question.