Sign in to follow this  
ce318

418 A Hydro question

ce318

As stated above I have a 418a hydro. My question is that the tractor runs faster in reverse than it does in forward. Is there any chance the hoses or something were reversed. I have no clue why this is. I am relying on the knowledge base here on RS to see if I am off base or what. Thank all. Chris

smoreau

I sounds like your cam plate under the seat needs to be adjusted or there is some ware in the linkage. This is a flat plate with a cam that is adjustable to control your forward and reverse motion. If you raise the rear wheels and adjust this cam you can make small adjustments to the cam and It will adjust the speeds.

kpinnc

I would look at everything. Take the center console cover off where the Direction Control Lever (DCL) goes and look at how everything looks in there. Many times that type of DCL lever will wear to the point that much of the travel is lost to "slop". All of the parts should be nice and snug, with no slop at all. I have many times had to add spacers and bushings to tighten everything up, but it is worth it to have that hydro function like it did when it was new.

Good luck!

ce318

:) Hello all, I removed the seat pan and center cover today and preasure washed everything even though it was pretty clean. As this tractor only has about 200 hours on it I was kind of worried the PO has messed with things. I found no paint removed from any of the nuts so that was a good sign. The problem was the shaft through the cam plate was out of adjustment. After adjusting it and reassembling with all parts being freshly greased (I will make this part of my yearly maint) everything went back together very tidy and now I can go forward faster that reverse which is nice. Since I had everthing stripped down I adusted the parking brake and installed an new drive belt and changed trans oil and filter (even got the correct filter). I feel real good about this and could not have done it without your help. So from my horse and I to you. Thank you for your generous trouble shooting. Chris