Sign in to follow this  
leeave96

Deck Shell Thickness?

leeave96

Anyone know what gauge steel Wheelhorse used on their mowing decks? I measured somewhere between .104 and .109 on one of my decks with a set of calipers.

Did Wheelhorse ever advertise a "gauge" thickness for their mowing decks?

Just curious.

Thanks!

Bill

smoreau

Yes, they are not thick enough! I think they are 16 gauge

leeave96

I don't know if they are "thick enough", but I've got an old Simplicity and IH Cub Cadet and my Wheelhorse decks seem to be to be heavier to lift around. Simplicity is 48", IHC deck is 44" and Wheelhorse deck is 48"

Thanks,

Bill

Don1977

Don't know the thickness, but the old 75-48MS01 are heavy. I have plowed out a lot of dictches getting mine unstuck.

tunahead72

I have a brochure for the 1986 tractors that advertises a "heavy-duty, 12-gauge steel" deck for everything from the 32" to the 48" mowers.

Duff

At the risk of being strung up from the nearest tree or banished from the forum, I'll only add that both of the "green tractors" I've had have much thicker steel in the decks than my Horses. That's among the very few props I'll give JD over WH, though! (Does that redeem me?)

Duff :thumbs:

• Like 1

bowtiebutler956

Blaspheme Duff! :ROTF:

Matt :flags-texas:

Hydro

At the risk of being strung up from the nearest tree or banished from the forum, I'll only add that both of the "green tractors" I've had have much thicker steel in the decks than my Horses. That's among the very few props I'll give JD over WH, though! (Does that redeem me?)

Duff :thumbs:

He's right. I was amazed at the difference when I bought the JD I had for only a few months. If I recall correctly 10 or 11 ga. Heavier deck but poor cut by comparison. Most of the wheel horse deck weight come from the lift frame not the shell.

BOWTIE

I AGREE WITH LEEAVE96, THEY ARE NOT THICK ENOUGHT. TO ME THAT IS THE ONLY FAULT WHEEL HORSE HAS. THEY NEED TO BE 10-12 GAUGE OR STAINLESS STEEL. HOW MANY WHEEL HORSES DO YOU SEE WITHOUT DECKS FOR SALE.

BOWTIE IN OHIO