Sign in to follow this  
jameswill80

50" tiller gears

jameswill80

anybody know were there are ring and pinion gears for the d series tillers mine are missing teeth. :bow-blue:

1maidenfan

Good luck finding those, you dont see to many of those tillers around let alone one for parts :confusion-confused: Might want to check with Garcor out on miller ave. or bearings inc. on s.r.18 east by fastenal. :confusion-shrug:

Tap53

Hi Guys, RedSquare has sure changed since last time I was here, been a couple years, looks good,

Any way, about those pinion and bevel gears for the tillers, seems like they are a weak point as far as I can tell,

I have a new pinion but no bevel gear, checked on having one made awhile back: $1200, for 2 of them, one good one to use and the other a pattern.

Wow, little to much for me,

The bevel gear I have here is missing about 12-13 teeth, I might grind the teeth off, drill 2 small holes for each tooth and insert 1/8" drill rod,

then build up a new tooth with bronze rod, then alot of grinding and filling, I took a pattern of the good teeth with some JB weld to use as a template as Im grinding and filing,,, As you can tell I got more time than money.

But IM still looking for a bevel gear in the mean time, maybe will find one that will only need to be modified a little to match..

Gees, well see,

I'll keep you all updated

Have a nice day,

T

1maidenfan

Hi Guys, RedSquare has sure changed since last time I was here, been a couple years, looks good,

Any way, about those pinion and bevel gears for the tillers, seems like they are a weak point as far as I can tell,

I have a new pinion but no bevel gear, checked on having one made awhile back: $1200, for 2 of them, one good one to use and the other a pattern.

Wow, little to much for me,

The bevel gear I have here is missing about 12-13 teeth, I might grind the teeth off, drill 2 small holes for each tooth and insert 1/8" drill rod,

then build up a new tooth with bronze rod, then alot of grinding and filling, I took a pattern of the good teeth with some JB weld to use as a template as Im grinding and filing,,, As you can tell I got more time than money.

But IM still looking for a bevel gear in the mean time, maybe will find one that will only need to be modified a little to match..

Gees, well see,

I'll keep you all updated

Have a nice day,

T

:banana-gotpics::WRS: Welcome back to redsquare, would like to see some pics of this gear you are attempting to refurbish. I have machine shop access and might be able to help in some way :scratchead: :text-welcomeconfetti:

Tap53

Hi, as you can see, a friend said he could build up with SS, gees, what a mess, I sure that would need to be removed..

Anyway, here she is,,,, Tim

If you need more pice let me know

100_2788.JPG

jameswill80

i thought my pinion was bad

1maidenfan

Cant say that I have ever seen one that rounded off :confusion-scratchheadyellow: Going to take some major help :auto-ambulance: to get the ring gear in working condition, but I think it can be done with time :tools-hammerdrill: Looks like you have a good start on it . :twocents-02cents: :angry-extinguishflame:

Tap53

Hi, guys, did a good job on that pinion, the tiller was running good (21/2 years ago) then all of a sudden it started slowing up, (like me) so I stopped and started jerking on the tines and PTO to find out why it was slowing up, thought for sure something was slipping, It seemed good, I thought "what the h***" , so started tilling again and it started slowing up again, "WHAT THE H*** IS GOING ON" I said to myself, then I thought.. I only had 2 beers, that cant be it, I'm not taking any illegal drugs, that cant be it neither, I did have a bad head injury with a 14' fall on concrete 2 1/2 years ago, really messed me up, but I have some good drugs for that and I feel pretty good,,kinda like taking a trip sometimes with out leaving the farm...So, I proceeded to tear it apart, then when I seen that pinion gear, It started all over again I thought again "what the h***"... etc, so with so much going on I did put all new bearings and stuff in housing, and kinda forgot about the tiller, but seen new pinion on ebay for $98.00, thought maybe would find a new bevel gear somewhere at sometime to get it fixed, soooo, I now expanded my nursery and could sure us this wheel horse tiller, I don't really need it that bad but would be nice to use it,

Others tell me (JUNK IT, BUY A NEW TRACTOR AND TILLER), well.. I can afford it, but I would rather try to get this tiller fixed... and I wont give up, there's got to be a warehouse full of these gears somewhere, in boxes, all dirty and greasy and nobody knows about it...

Anyway, I'll try to fix this gear and keep looking in the mean time,,,

Better go now, my index finger looks like a mushroom pounding on these keys, got to give it a break,

Have a nice day guys,

Tim