Sign in to follow this  
Prater

Anyone rebuilt a 50" D Series tiller?

Prater

The 50 inch tiller locked up yesterday when i was testing it. It was full of fluid, just popped and locked. It also broke the PTO rod on the engine. Now I need to find that coupler nut with LH and RH threads. I have a replacement rod, just cant get the LH threads clear in the nut.

1maidenfan

Wow ! Wasn't that a NOS tiller? Cant imagine that locking up like that. I have a parts break down manual if it would help.

Prater

No, it was used. But i only paid 100 or 200 for it. I think Rick had the NOS tiller.

1maidenfan

Ok, my bad. Just noticed Oklahoma and thought it was you. Need the parts break down pic?

Prater

I have it, thanks

1maidenfan

I have it, thanks

Ok, good luck. :handgestures-fingerscrossed: :handgestures-thumbup:

JamesBe1

I was going to start a new thread, but I hope nobody objects of I hijack this one for a little while.

I have some detailed questions about my 50" tiller. Probably will need to bother some of you for pics if that is alright.

james

1maidenfan

I was going to start a new thread, but I hope nobody objects of I hijack this one for a little while.

I have some detailed questions about my 50" tiller. Probably will need to bother some of you for pics if that is alright.

james

What do you need?

JamesBe1

I got a 50" tiller that I started to refurbish a couple of years ago. It is in pieces around my barn. About halfway through, I had to stop to fix the tractor, and finally have that running. I started collecting everything today, and have 95% of it. There may be a piece or two that I have to fabricate. Mostly I will need some detailed pics of how it goes back together, and some measurements of the missing pieces. The Illustrated Part Breakdown in the manual is good, but not perfect in how things go back together.

Also, when I got it, it had an oil leak, so there was next to no oil in it. I have new seals to install. When I looked at the gear box this afternoon, it was seized up. I know it was turning a couple of years ago. The input coupling is not bolted on, so I was able to look inside. Ewwwww. Lots of rust. I sprayed lots of PB blaster and WD40 in, and after a while, I was able to free it up. I turned it over and emptied it through the input coupling, and I got a couple of cups of really nasty water.

I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions also, about how to clean it out without having to crack open the gear case. I'll try to post some pics tomorrow, but I don't think I'll be able to get the insides pics at all.