Sign in to follow this  
Wheelhorse84

C-160

Wheelhorse84

I plowed 3 inches of heavy wet snow with a 160 hydro, no weights or chains and with ag tires. I have owned a lot of wheel horses and after being skeptical on a hrydro being able to move snow. All I have to say is wow that thing can move snow like no tomorrow. So happy to finally get some snow. Does a 16hp have that much more power than a 12?

rmaynard

Even thought it has 33% more HP than a 12HP, it's not about the power. I plow with a 10HP and I can spin the wheels pushing snow. It's all about the weight distribution and traction.

:twocents-02cents:

Wheel-N-It

The 16's do have more torque, and that equates to pushing power. I do certainly agree with Maynard, Weight distribution and traction are key. If you are getting the power to the ground, then you can do alot of work with a 16hp Kohler single.

can whlvr

as bob said you dont need a 16 to push snow,theres guys with round hoods that have only 4 hp and those machines move the snow,but i have both a 12 and 16 and ya the 16 seems far more powerful to me

Ken B

When I had this Electro 12 I often only used ag tires. No weights, no chains. It is more about getting up a little ramming speed (momentum) than anything else. I will say under certain conditions the ags were useless. Here is a video of the Electro in action pushing quite a bit of snow.

Forest Road

You need higher hp to power mowing decks and dual stage snow blowers. 10 - 12hp is more than enough for pushing & pulling anything with these tractors.

WheelHorseSteve

Ken... you are the king of snowplowing videos! Don't forget this one... this sold me on your tractor:

C-160 plowing a street

I definitely agree that it's as much about momentum as it is about weight/traction. You don't need a 16HP Kohler to plow but it certainly helps! (I have never wanted for power... that said, I haven't plowed more than 8-10" so far)

All I can say is, where the heck is all that snow this year?? :eusa-think:

Ken B

Back a few yrs. ago I was on the snow crew for the Danbury Mall. I used a Trojan 3500 Payloader with a 20 ft blade on it. I only wish I took some video back then. The best time I had was when we got almost 2 ft. over night. That was a lot of fun making that Trojan work, just don't hit a curb because that'll hurt like hell!