Sign in to follow this  
Kelly

Fixing up a 314

Kelly

I picked up this 1995 314 8 speed this winter,

100_4050.jpg

and over all it is pretty nice with 700 hours on it, one owner, I planned on fixing a few things then selling it, and I still may sell it, but it will be in very nice shape when it is ready to sell.

I started by puling all the sheet metal off and power washing it, I like how clean it is under the grime, very little rust, the only cut wire is the seat switch connector, and I don't plan to fix it, but I did clean every elect connection and apply dialectic grease to them, I'm surprised that all the red indicator lights function :woohoo: the head and tail lights work, as do the gauges.

The engine had a tick in it so I adjusted the valves and put new gaskets on the valve cover, while the carb was off I figured I would put a carb kit in it, that is when I found the throttle shaft was worn badly, I think I found a donor from a carter carb, to use in this Walbro, all new fuel lines are run, new spark plug, air filter, and head gasket.

Well the steering is a bit sloppy so I figured I would put a few new bushings in it, I ordered them and will get them fri. so I figured I would pull the parts and have them ready, you have to remove the engine :banghead: but it was not bad, 15 min. and it was out, then I seen something on a WH I've never seen, the lower shaft has a adjustable nut to help take up the slop not just a stack of shims like the old ones, this is nice.

post-85-0-95694100-1330561594_thumb.jpg

post-85-0-73408000-1330562422_thumb.jpg

The worn bushing just fell out, I caught this just in time the shaft or the steering block have little to no ware on them.

post-85-0-08282300-1330561696_thumb.jpg

post-85-0-16005200-1330561970_thumb.jpg

I will be putting a upper dash bushing in also, I need to do some minor repair to the hole it fits in as it is opened up a little, more on that later.

I pulled the front axle and will be replacing the axle pin, with a nice one, and I painted the axle when it was out, it did not clean up like the rest did, it had surface rust on it, but the spindles are very nice and no ware on them, the PO put 6" rims on it and it should have 8" so I'm cleaning up a set of rims to paint and putting nice tires on it, same for the rear he kept the nice rears, so I will be painting rears and putting nice 23x9.50x12's on it.

I think this is going to be a nice tractor when I get done going through it, the hood is going to be a set back because he used it to move pine tree branches when he mowed, and it is a bit beat up, but I'll look in to that more after it's back on it's feet.

I left off here tonight, in a pile of pieces.

post-85-0-29063000-1330562574_thumb.jpg

anyone looking for a nice 314? it may be up for sale soon.

Jake Kuhn

It looks really good Kelly! Jake

Martin

looking good kelly....

this sort of brings up memories for me. sort of.....

i used to buy and sell cars back home, i would pick up decent running stuff that just needed a bit of tlc and clean them up real good, maybe painting the engine and a few other things, some body work etc. replacing some trim, fixing worn out stuff, give it a good buff and flip it. it started paying for itself after the first couple.

i like how clean and nice the paint is. good thing about these tractors is it doesnt take much to get them apart, fix the worn out stuff, clean them up a little, maybe paint a few things that dont clean up and put it back together.....

im sure this will turn out a nice looker once your done with it........ :handgestures-thumbup:

can whlvr

sounds like a nice tractor for someone,your giving her the full monty :thumbs:

Duff

Nice looking machine, Kelly! Now I've got to go out and have a look at some spare lower steering shafts I've got kicking around to see if there's enough material to possibly thread one like what you found...... :scratchead:

Duff :thumbs:

• Like 1

gwgdog66

Nice looking machine, Kelly! Now I've got to go out and have a look at some spare lower steering shafts I've got kicking around to see if there's enough material to possibly thread one like what you found...... :scratchead:

Duff :thumbs:

Kelly / Duff,

I just replaced a lower steering shaft on a GT 1642, for a buddy of mine that did some work on my old GMC this summer. I used the threaded one for a 2005 GT classic PN# 78-2880-03. It was $30 cheaper then the PN# the 83 GT1642 called for. The threaded nut lets a fella adjust out the slop real easy! :grin: The upper shaft was replaced by a new number that happened to be the same as a 2005 GT Classic also. I did have to get the upper shaft locking collar from Ace Hardware, Toro dealer told me a new upper shaft used 16 washers and a roll pin to hold it to the hood stand.

Wheel-N-It

Kelly, Too bad for me I'm not closer. I would be proud to have that one ! Little too far to drive for. Bought some premium gas tonight @ $4.06 per gallon.

Glad I had enough sense to go out and find the last WheelHorse I bought when gas was still $3.65 That is why I was pushing so hard to get another Horse this Winter. I had the bad feeling gas was going up again, especially after our President said NO to the pipeline that was to be installed from Canada to the U.S. Us regular folk are paying for a decision that we had no input on. (as usual)

Sorry guys, trying to talk gas prices here, not politics...........

Van

Hydro

I have seen those cassel nuts before and in fact was surprised when I realized my 88 did not have one. They work well for taking up slack!

Kelly

I got a little time to do a few things on this tractor this weekend, during the week I decided to build a new upper steering shaft the old one was worn where it rides in the dash bushing.

post-85-0-00223800-1330907976_thumb.jpg

I went out back and found another steering shaft that I had cut off to get the wheel off, and still had a good gear on it, I ground the weld off that holds the gear to the shaft, and taped it off, this pic is after I had blasted the gear, I just slide it back on for the pic.

post-85-0-72523800-1330908163_thumb.jpg

I picked up a piece of cold rolled 3/4" bar stock to make the shaft, I cut it to size beveled the ends and then set it in the lower steering block to set the height of the gear.

post-85-0-77048500-1330908273_thumb.jpg

All welded up and ready to drill the roll pin hole on the other end.

post-85-0-49830300-1330908423_thumb.jpg

I have a small drill press, but drilling a hole right in the center of the bar so a roll pin will fit through the wheel and the shaft is not easy, I picked up a broken vise at the junk yard a few months back, because I was going to buy one but seen they cost around $100 for one that is adjustable in both directions, kinda like a mill, anyway I ground the break and preheated it with a torch then welded it with my mig welder, I made two passes all the way around, so far so good, and it made drilling the roll pin hole much easier.

post-85-0-85179800-1330908792_thumb.jpg

post-85-0-19166600-1330908912_thumb.jpg

All painted up waiting to dry.

post-85-0-51811700-1330909010_thumb.jpg

post-85-0-76631000-1330909075_thumb.jpg

I also found a throttle shaft from a cub 16hp carb that was the same as the one I needed, well very close minor mod and is now the same, so the carb is ready to go back on when I get the engine back in, the dash bushing is changed, the new bushing installed in the lower steering block front axle is back in, I dismounted a set of front and rear rims and sent them with my oldest son to work where he will bead blast them, so I can get them painted this week,

and this week I should be able to make good head way on getting this tractor back together.

can whlvr

looking good kelly,is the lower steering bushing a newer tractor thing,i looked for it for my 87 414 and the parts breakdown doesnt show it

Martin

looks good kelly.

dont you just love the fact that common size bar stock can be used to fix these sort of things? im fact wh did a good thing with a lot of the materials used being standard type steel sizes and stock. makes fixing these things a bunch easier than welding up worn areas and grinding.......

im slowly gathering different size reamers and tools to make installing bushings etc in the mating parts where shafts are used easier as well. just need to get a keyway broaching tool and i think i will be able to tackle most of the stuff that i come across.

looking forward to seeing this one back together as im sure you are too..... :thumbs:

Hydro

looking good kelly,is the lower steering bushing a newer tractor thing,i looked for it for my 87 414 and the parts breakdown doesnt show it

Hey Don I'm not sure what year they started that but my 312 had it. You and I figured out my 312 was after 1990. My 88 416 does not have it either.

Kelly

They have been using the bushing in the lower steering block from the mid 60's up to the last ones, it's a dealer only bushing as far as I can tell, and it's $7 but when worn they let the lower steering shaft move around causing slopy steering.

Martin, it's not to bad of a project, I havn't worked hard on it, hour or two here and there, it will go pretty fast from here out.

Ken B

I remember when you originally posted purchasing this tractor. Nice to see her getting a second life. Its going to make a nice tractor for someone no doubt.

marvairplanes

Kelly,

PM sent.

hm12460

Kelly, any interest trading it for a NICE 312-H with 430 or so hours? Mine is an H with hydraulic lift, 1992 model year iirc.