Sign in to follow this  
GlenPettit

New Wheel Horse Book

kpinnc

The second edition was self-published by Mike, and came from an overseas printer. He said he went with the cheaper option on the second book to keep it more affordable. Personally I'd rather have the better quality of an American printer and pay a little more.

Obviously I failed to understand the process- from writing to publishing and printing. Again, it was not my intention to say anything negative about Mr. Martino.

Like Jason, I would pay a little extra for the better quality version.

AMC RULES

Ditto, but I don't want to mortgage the house to get one either. :dunno:

clyde

:woohoo: can i sign for one in blood will that help reserve one cause we all know we have have bloodied our knuckles on our horses .thats ok cause whorses are red too!

nylyon

Humm... Didn't think that the cat would be out of the bag so quickly. I'll let Mike elaborate on the details if he comes in and checks, but I will say that he is going to have this book printed in the USA, it will be hard cover with a dust jacket. I'll leave you with one additional tidbit.... The page 73 girl will be there uncensored! It should be ready for the June show in 2013, so best make your plans to attend if you want a signed book!

kpinnc

Sounds promising for sure. Thanks Karl!

sscotsman

It'll be interesting to see if it's release will effect the price of the earlier editions.

Oh im sure it will..

prices for the first printing have already dropped from $300 to $50..the sellers just dont know it yet! ;)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0970666802/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&qid=1330230033&sr=8-1&condition=used

Demand for them (at $300) evaporated yesterday..

Scot

GlenPettit

A response from Mike about his upcoming 3rd edition (sunday, 2/26/12):

Hi Glen,

Thank you for the compliments. Yes, the final edition will be about twice as long as the second edition and will include both an audio CD as well as an amazing DVD. This time, the discs will not be reproducible. You would be surprised how many people have violated my copyrights. I know many guys would like the exposed nude photo again and it will be there. The book will be the best quality ever exceeding both the first and even second editions, being printed in the USA. It will be a hardcover book with a dust jacket. The wealth of new information and pictures is enormous. This is the final edition of the trilogy and will cover everything that I possibly can, however, I must consider the sale price so everyone can afford it.

Thanks again,

Mike

Terry M

Enjoyed reading the first one! Can't hardly wait to read this new one, I'm sure it'll be good!! :USA:

WheelHorse_of_course

Hopefully the publisher will remember that when they order prints of this final edition.

The first edition was published by Stemgas/Ogden publishing... known for such periodicals as Mother Earth News, Gas Engine Magazine, and Farm Collector. They also publish a lot of ag related books.

The second edition was self-published by Mike, and came from an overseas printer. He said he went with the cheaper option on the second book to keep it more affordable. Personally I'd rather have the better quality of an American printer and pay a little more.

My 2 cents..

I would advise looking into publishing it on a "book on demand" basis. While this is more expensive, it has the following advantages:

1) First print run can be small - therefore no huge amount of capital is invested in books that sit in inventory. This capital issue is not a small one, it can take many 10's of thousands of dollars up front to publish in the traditional fashion.

2) The book is ready to go for future printings of 100 or fewer copies permitting the book to remain "in print" for an extended period. All that is involved is ordering a batch.

The downside is that hard cover is not a realistic option, though color pages are possible. Binding durability is medium.

Another hobby of mine is telephone collecting. For years I had heard about "The Desk Telephones of the Bell System" by Wolff, an important book that was out of print (there were two editions before that happened). I did not have a copy, and wanted one.

I was publisher for a second and third printing of the second edition using this technology. Because the book was mostly photographs we used very high quality paper and since it was thick, and the book had many pages, we went with a comb binding, not my favorite. However the project was an unqualified success and I expect we'll print more in the future.

Feel free to pass these comments to the author.

Rolf Taylor