Sign in to follow this  
GlenPettit

New Wheel Horse Book

GlenPettit

FYI -- Just got a brief note from Mike Martino (author: The Wheel Horse Story),

that I'ld like to share:

" I have begun working on the final edition which will hopefully be released in summer 2013.

It is going to be amazing and much bigger.

God Bless, Mike "

Looking forward to a newer & better book. Glen

• Like 5

SALTYWRIGHT

I WANT ONE.......RUSS

AMC RULES

:happy-wavemulticolor: OH! Yes please, me too. :popcorn:

Wheel Horse Kid

YOU CAN FOR SURE COUNT ME IN FOR A COPY!!!!!! :woohoo::greetings-clappingyellow: :banana-tux:

wheelhorse656

I will buy 1 or 2 !!!!!

Jake Kuhn

Man I can't wait! I guess I will have to stock up form seeing how hard it is to get them. I have been wanting to read this book for a long time! Jake

wh-jason

of course the next edition is being realeased, i finally got one on ebay 2 weeks ago!! :banghead:

AMC RULES

Based on the price of the earlier ones, maybe we should all buy stock in this new release? :dunno:

Hey, you never know...with a little bit o' luck? :text-woo:

bowtiebutler956

I'm in for sure. :woohoo:

Wheel-N-It

i WANT ONE PLEASE ! a signed copy preferably:)

kpinnc

Having met Mike briefly only a couple times, I have only good things to say about him and his obvious love for these tractors and this hobby. Like only a few others, he is an asset to our hobby. In our small collector's community, the man is almost legendary.

I hope this edition however- should it actually be printed and distributed, is better than the second. Mike's first edition was beautifully simple, technically informative, and was a very high-quality printing. Both books also told a wonderful story of the American dream that is often missed by the rest of us. They tell a story of a man born to a generation that is sorely missed these days. That first book is a cherished part of my collection, as I have tractors that I would sell before I sold it. But in this case, the original was far better than the second "special edition". Sure it had a few new pictures and additional information, but it by no means was an improvement. The book itself was nowhere near the quality (poor picture quality, and poor physical construction) of the first edition. On my copy, the back is broken apart for no reason, and it has all but fell apart just sitting on the bookshelf in my living room. Had I not received my copy directly from Mike at the WHCC show, and had it not had both his and Mr. Pond's signatures in it, I would have put it on Ebay long ago. Since I have a copy of the first edition as well, the memory of how I got the second far outweighs what was actually in it. Meeting Cecil Pond was truly an honor that I will not soon forget.

Make no mistake, I am not bashing Mr. Martino. I am both proud and humbled to have actually met him, and I imagine he has very little say in the choices made by his publisher and printing houses. I would think the demand of the limited first edition was a driving force in the printing of the second, and the folks responsible for printing it just took the cheapest route possible to make a quick buck. I hope the final edition will be made like the first, by a quality printer who takes pride in what they produce. What they did to the material for the second edition was a shame. A part of Cecil Pond's legacy was a testament to hard work, perseverance, and taking pride in everything he did, all the while treating others with fairness. Hopefully the publisher will remember that when they order prints of this final edition.

• Like 5

gapper

I want a few copies also!!!

WH4ME

Sign me up for 1 or 2 books!

neil

will redsquare get a mention in the book ? lets hope so

Wheel Crazy

Is the old book still available? If so where can you get one?

Butch

I hope they're made better.

CasualObserver

Hopefully the publisher will remember that when they order prints of this final edition.

The first edition was published by Stemgas/Ogden publishing... known for such periodicals as Mother Earth News, Gas Engine Magazine, and Farm Collector. They also publish a lot of ag related books.

The second edition was self-published by Mike, and came from an overseas printer. He said he went with the cheaper option on the second book to keep it more affordable. Personally I'd rather have the better quality of an American printer and pay a little more.

AMC RULES

Any idea when it will be available?

CasualObserver

hopefully be released in summer 2013.

Wipe-Glasses.gif

AMC RULES

It'll be interesting to see if it's release will effect the price of the earlier editions.

caseguy

Wonder why it will take another year and 1/2 to be released? I'd like a copy or two myself!

jusjeepn

I'd have to say because it hasn't been written yet....... as stated in Glenn's original post.

AMC RULES

I thought the world was ending in 2012...better hurry up Mike, we don't have much time left. :popcorn:

caseguy

I'd have to say because it hasn't been written yet....... as stated in Glenn's original post.

That's a good reason LOL! Thanks! I must've mis-read it.

Ken B

I thought the world was ending in 2012...better hurry up Mike, we don't have much time left. :popcorn:

I thought the same thing, better get crackin and get it done before then.