Sign in to follow this  
Wheelhorse84

stupid question

Wheelhorse84

What was the first Wheel horse tractor built?

boovuc

Dicey question but the first tractor that had the Wheelhorse name on it, (that I know of), was the 1955 RJ35. Elmer Pond created the Ride-a Way Sr. but it was generally regarded as a "Pond" tractor though many would say it's a Wheelhorse!

• Like 1

whfan74

Does anyone know if the RJ25 or RJ35 came first or out at the first time?

Also the Walk-a-way???? Didn't they come out before the 4 wheeled tractor?

Just asking as I am not sure either.

jusjeepn

The Pond's started building 4 wheel tractor's in late 1946. The company was aptly named "The Pond Company". These first tractor's were all hand built and sold by Elmer and Cecil in a small garage. The 2 wheeled tractor was started in 1948 and was produced until 1956. Also in 1948, the Ride-Away Senior was started and was built through 1956. The Ride-Away Junior was actually conceived in 1954 but wasn't produced until 1955. There were actually 3 model variations available right from the get go. The RJ25 had a Briggs 2.5 hp while the RJ35 was available with the Clinton 3hp or Kohler 3.5hp. And to answer the initial question, the name was officially changed to Wheel Horse in 1947 due to conflicting company names with Elmer's brother Harold. Harold changed the name of his company from "The Speedex Garden Tractor Company to "Pond Garden Tractor Company" probably to create confusion for the consumer. Thanks to Harold Pond for initiating the name of these tractors we all love! The first tractor to boldly represent the Wheel Horse name was the 1956 RJ.

All of this info is in "Straight From the Horse's Mouth". I did have to reference it to get exact dates. I don't want anybody here thinking I'm obsessed or something. :laughing-rolling::hide:

:wh: :wh: :wh: 4life