Sign in to follow this  
HorseWhisperer

"Once you go SS 12,you sell your steed"

HorseWhisperer

I have stayed away from Sears because I was ignorant mostly in my youth.Even though I was drawn to the similiar quality and design of the early years I stayed away.I have seen only a few in a dozen years worth looking and I came across a gem in the rough the other day.A baby blue Ss12 complete,unmolested with hubcaps and original seat.The owner,a collector of Horses mostly and to whom I have horse traded with now for some time sold me this beauty saying"When you get this home you'll sell your red ones"Should I be afraid?I haven't brought it home yet!

WHEEL HORSE BILL

I bought one just the other day it's baby blue with a white hood that says sears super12 on the side. It only came with a snow plow but I hear these tractors can push snow also. I paid $195 and hope to get it running soon. I must say I will never sell my steed I love my horse's to much. Good luck with yours and don't sell your horse's!!!!!

Wheel horse bill :USA:

• Like 1

1maidenfan

:banana-gotpics: :banana-gotpics: :banana-gotpics: :deadhorse:

Jim_M

They're good old tractors, nothing wrong with them, but the availability of parts and attachments can't compare to that of a Wheel Horse.

Sparky

Dont sell off the red ones to fast till you've spent some time messing with that teccy carb. All you ever hear are horror stories about em. You'll be glad you have the red ones with Kohlers (hopefully).

Mike...............

• Like 2

buckrancher

I know just who your talking about

been there

Brian

• Like 1

HorseWhisperer

I received a plow,deck,and a three point hitch.All the tin is good and it purrs.Its dirty and the barn leaked on the rearend housing(flat part of chassis in front of seat) for years.The guy must've had twenty or so.He has become a friend and he is dealing with very recent news of a possible prostrate problem and is. willing to part with it now.Its the last one he hasn't reconditioned.Its the only one that caught my eyes.I have reconditioned a couple but theses things are only original once to me,even if ugly,theryre better to me used than pretty.

HorseWhisperer

Lol,Its funny,I have a perfect running 63 Briggs 71/4 only because of a Tech carb on it.I bought it like that and left it alone.

HorseWhisperer

BRIAN,Its really sad to see him down to just a couple left.He is holding on to his C16 and a couple others but he has sold so many in a couple months.Hes a good egg.

Kingwood990

Those SS/12s are pretty good tractors. I have a friend that restores them as a hobby and I will admit they can push and pull real well. They are pretty good on fuel too. I will get one to add to the collection once I find a real good one.

• Like 1

HorseWhisperer

I have pushed snow with a few,for some strange reason I just love my little Commando for that.I think its the short,tight turning chassis.It will be tough to sway me but if he says I will like this better he might be right!I hear you can still get a lot of o.e.m. parts through sears too?

Ken B

I've owned quite a few of them thru the yrs. They are pretty stout and the Tecumseh's that are on them are plenty strong and made to last. They'll push quite a bit of snow but I'm not a real big fan of their snow blade design. It easily lifts when pushing a load. Come to think of it, I've owned three SS 12's, two blues and an orange one and an orange Custom 10 XL. All were real clean and very comparable to a Wheel Horse of similar size.

• Like 1

stevebo

Going back 20+ years when I had a lawn business in high school I used a sears red/orange rider with the tecky. I bought it from my uncle who owned it since new and it looked just as good as the day he bought it (he used to park it on carpet in the garage and covered it with a sheet after cleaning it after each use). Needless to say it was a nice machine. One day I had some problems with the carb or something like that and had to get the lawns done so I asked dad if I could "borrow" his new 310-8. After using that to do the lawns it was like night and day in the comfort and feel. Kinda like driving a sub compact commuter to the feel of a full size suv. That is what I remember about the difference. It stands out in my mind like it was yesterday.

• Like 1

IthacaJeff

Not sure I fully get the difference Steve. The 310-8 felt like the commuter? The Sears the SUV?

Why the difference? Overall size of machines?

Jeff

Ken B

Are you sure Uncle Bo's tractor was a Super Suburban 12? I think an SS12 will yank your 310-8 all over the yard. :ychain: I've owned both myself and that wasn't my memory. Needless to say, it would be interesting to find out. Both machines are the same size, I'd almost bet a Super Suburban 12 weighs more.

I have the 48 inch mower deck off my 416-8 all apart right now. I think a 48 inch mower deck off of a Super Suburban weighs twice as much as the 48 off the 416!

• Like 1

COMMANDO1

i KNOW WHERE THERE IS AN SS16 THAT I HAVE MY EYE ON, GUY IS WILLING TO SELL, LAST TIME I SPOKE TO HIM IT WAS 400$. HE NEEDS SOME PLUMBING WORK DONE SO HOPING TO WORK OUT A DEAL. IT HAS A PLOW AND DECK.

stevebo

To clearify I think the 310-8 had a much heavier feel than the Sears. The Sears had the rounded fenders and a horizontal techy. It may have been a 7 or 8hp so not sure the model... It was uncle Al's (Albert's Autobody) tractor...

• Like 1

grnlark

I've had a couple Sears machines too. Actually two SS12's. From the rear I think they are awesome looking machines, but the hoods and front ends on all of them are so g-d ugly I just can't get myself to keep one.

• Like 1

Ken B

I pretty much agree. The late 60's and early 70's aren't too bad looking from the front but anything older than a 68 is butt ugly. I had an orange and white 1967 SS12 that was like it came off the dealers floor. I just couldn't handle how ugly the grilles are on the 67's, so down the road it eventually went.

• Like 1

HorseWhisperer

I had a chance to buy one just like this twenty years aogo and scoffed the thought of a sears sitting in my garage!At the time I rode a 64 1054 which I cant get over letting go.And I had a completely restored 73 jerk lawn chief hydro.The Sears appealed to me in an ugly sorta way.

HorseWhisperer

Now I will have a Super 12 in my barn.The more I take it in the more I think its a gentleman's vessel.Its fitted,easy to mount and kinda weird looking but stern and stout.Much like a gentleman!Lol I am turning 40 next year so I should start enjoying the finer things in life!Lol.I pick it up Thursday.I will post a couple pics.

jay in nc

so its true, when you go sears you sell your horses?

• Like 1

HorseWhisperer

I never thought Id part w/ my commando but its true,they're gone.today.Ad was posted twenty minutes.They went to a fledgling collector acrossed town.Made a friend today in the process!I am on the hunt for a 1054 now to replace the others.The Ss comes home soon,the red ones are on to pasture.

can whlvr

too each their own,id NEVER sell my fav wh for any other brand,but thats what makes the world go around

perry

sears can be a pain to work on compared to a WH and the tucky engine can be fussy. recommend a fuel pump added on some, since the tank and carb are parrell to each other. just my expirience with some models. . had my share here. lots of sears guys here in SE-MI. i never have a problem turning them. lots of attachments available for them. the roper(ss-16) i picked up was a sweet machine and had a 16hp cast iron briggs engine. that would have been the sears i should have kept.

• Like 1