Sign in to follow this  
608KEB

Do I need to replace a bearing

608KEB

When I was taking the seals out of my transmission I noticed that the torrington bearing was missing a little piece of the outside wall. I don't think I did this when removing the seals because i didn't see the missing piece. Do I need to replace this bearing? K.B.

Trouty56

Looks like it will eventually fail to me. Might be a good opportunity to open it up for a look see. Just replace both sides while you are in there.

rmaynard

I agree with Bob. Also, it looks like someone has been banging on the hitch pin. Hope you can get it out. If you are going to open the tranny, better start soaking that area with PB Blaster now.

post-2221-0-59667200-1329859687.jpg

Martin

i would replace it. otherwise you may regret it. if you did mistakenly hit it while removing the seal, ( looks like a screwdriver end to me) you cant really be sure if the cage is dragging on the axle, you could end up chewing the axle surface where the bearing runs over it, and then having to replace it later on down the road.

if it was like that, same deal, take care of it now rather than later......

pfrederi

From experience (expensive experience) I can tell you that when that needle bearing fails the needles can move up the axle shaft and take out the inner ball bearing (the infamous #1533 only available from Toro for over $80 ...each) the needle bearing you need is about $10....your choice.

WH854

From experience (expensive experience) I can tell you that when that needle bearing fails the needles can move up the axle shaft and take out the inner ball bearing (the infamous #1533 only available from Toro for over $80 ...each) the needle bearing you need is about $10....your choice.

P/N1533 is no longer available from Toro :angry-banghead: just checked :thumbs:

Chas

608KEB

Where can I get needle bearings? You guys are pretty observant... I was trying to get hitch pin shaft out, but it wouldn't budge!#@&!! I assume I probably damaged the bearing also. I'll try PB blaster, if that doesn't work what about heating it? Thanks KB

bowtiebutler956

I just tore mine apart recently and I used my arbor press on the pin, but other guys hear have used a ball joint press that you just rent at the auto parts. They say they work well, I'm sure its much easier than the way I did it. :twocents-02cents:

sorekiwi

There is a sticky thread at the top of the Transmission section that gives the cross references for the bearings and seals.

608KEB

I'll let the PB blaster soak over night if that doesn't work I'll see if I can rent a ball joint press. Any advice on opening the transmission up would be great.... I've never done it. When I get it open any advice on cleaning it out. How do I spilt it open. what tools? I don't have access to a parts cleaner. KB

tunahead72

What model tractor are we talking about?

There's a transmission repair manual in the Files section of RedSquare that should help you a lot. It covers all the manual transmissions through 1982. I've never seen any manual that covers later years, but this should give you a pretty good idea of what you'll be looking at:

http://www.wheelhors...manual-rev-482/

There's also a bunch of good how-to threads in the "Transmissions and transaxles" section of the forum, some with entertaining and informative videos.

Duff

OK, now that the infamous 1533 bearing is NLA, should we be concerned? I don't see much reaction to this bit of news.......

Duff :thumbs:

sorekiwi

OK, now that the infamous 1533 bearing is NLA, should we be concerned? I don't see much reaction to this bit of news.......

Probably, but at at $80 a pop, I cant see anyone stockpiling many if they do find some.

WH854

I guess a feller should start gathering a bunch of transmissions that arn't any good, pull the 1533 bearings out and save them for future use :scratchead: .Or find a way to use a different bearing.They are not as wide as other ball bearings. I have a set I removed from a transmissiom that was cracked so I have a set. :thumbs:

Chas

WH854

Probably, but at at $80 a pop, I cant see anyone stockpiling many if they do find some.

Aguy on ebay want's 150.00 for just one. :angry-banghead:

Chas

WH854

I'll let the PB blaster soak over night if that doesn't work I'll see if I can rent a ball joint press. Any advice on opening the transmission up would be great.... I've never done it. When I get it open any advice on cleaning it out. How do I spilt it open. what tools? I don't have access to a parts cleaner. KB

Try these links :thumbs:

Chas

racinfool40

AHHHHH!!! The infamous 1533 bearing..Seen that coming on the NLA!! Thats why I pull them from every trans I come across..I have a few sets sealed in bags covered in grease!!

As for why this thread was started..I would definitly replace the needle bearing as everyone else has stated. Save alot of head ache's down the road..please let us know what trans you are working on. And we will get you pointed in the right direction.

MIKE.

608KEB

It's a 4 speed from a 1975 B-80. Can I still get needle bearings. I think it's part #1528

pfrederi

Koyo (or Torrington) B-1616 Less than $10 from bearing place. Also from your local auto parts store but will be more$$ (or $20 from Toro)

pfrederi

Had to suspect the 1533 NLA issue....however other than the one taken out by the failed needle bearing (which was run for quite awhile after it failed) I have never had to replace a 1533. I saved a couple out of otherwise unsalavageable trannys. (should have enough to outlast me :)

608KEB

would u know what the part # is for the rent of the needle bearings #1508 3/4" qty 2, #1532 1" qty 2, #1529 3/4" qty 1, #1523 3/4"qty 1 , #1531 5/8" qty 1 #1518 5/8" qty 1 KB

WH854

would u know what the part # is for the rent of the needle bearings #1508 3/4" qty 2, #1532 1" qty 2, #1529 3/4" qty 1, #1523 3/4"qty 1 , #1531 5/8" qty 1 #1518 5/8" qty 1 KB

Try this link up in the right hand corner #8 :thumbs:

Chas

sorekiwi

608KEB

got it thanks! KB

I ordered all the needle bearings for about $65.00