Sign in to follow this  
skoot

Kohler 10 horse k241 engine

skoot

Hello, I talk to a gentleman the other day about my 1968 Toro Suburban Lawn Tractor. He was helping me with my carb problem. I can get it to low idle and twice I have taken the carb off and appart, soaked and reassembled and it still wont idle on low. I have play in my throttle shaft and everything I can find out I need to replace the throttle shaft. Can somebody steer me in the right direction on what to do ??? Thanks

rmaynard

If you have play in the throttle shaft, you may not need to replace the shaft, but just install a bushing kit. Please read the following on throttle shaft wear:

http://gardentractorpullingtips.com/a1carb.htm

Scroll down until you get to the section highlighted in yellow.

Raider10

Hi Skoot. Take out the main jet needle and make sure the drillings are clear. There are drillings through side of the needle but also the needle is drilled down the centre joining the top and bottom holes together. Mine was blocked solid and was hard to clean out. I ended up heating it up carefully with micro blow torch and quenching it in powerfull detergent. this seamed to soften the gunge up the middle. Did it a few times and then blasted it with the air line. Be careful not to get it too hot though if you try it. Or maybe try a different needle if poss. Mine ran a treat afterwards. Hope this helps.

:) Ian

mcgranesp

i had the exact same problem. i replaced the needle jet screw and rebuilt carb and have not had a problem since.

skoot

okay .. I pulled the air mixture needle screw out and it is indeed plugged from midway to the needle.. will soaking it in the carb solvent help ?? I priced a new one at my local shop and it's about $30

Martin

you can bush the carb throttle with a simple bronze bushing. if you have an ace hardware of other store that stocks hillman fasteners, ask for a bronze bushing #58087. it will snug the shaft up nice and is a nice tight fit in the recess of the carb as well. they run about 80 cents each and i usually install 2 back to back because they are only about 1/16 thick. this will take care of the loose shaft on this end but if the shaft is loose on the other end right inside the carb then you really need to ream and bush the inside. most of the carbs ive done ive been able to get away with just doing the one end. makes a big difference.

heres a carb with the 2 bushings installed...

80d395f3.jpg

okay .. I pulled the air mixture needle screw out and it is indeed plugged from midway to the needle.. will soaking it in the carb solvent help ?? I priced a new one at my local shop and it's about $30

i would soak it and see if it loosens everything inside.

tunahead72

Soaking it should help a lot, and may clean it out completely. You can also buy an inexpensive set of small diameter wires that are designed for cleaning out carb openings, like the holes that Raider10 mentioned. I bought mine through a motorcycle parts supplier, you should also be able to get one through some of the small engine suppliers listed elsewhere in this forum.

Raider10

Soaked mine in all sorts of different solvents and nothing worked. Thats why i decided on the heat method. worked a treat. Just kept getting it warm and dipping it in strong detergent. Would have considered a new needle or complete carb but parts are expensive or not available at all here in the UK.

woodchuckfarmer

A tip cleaner for a torch works nice.