Sign in to follow this  
stevebo

Picked up 854, 701 and ? Picture heavy...

stevebo

I got together with another member here who helped me locate a few front engine roundies. I want to thank this member for helping me with this deal. I will let him chime in if he wants. Anyhow... I picked up an 854, 701 and another tractor but not sure the year or model. I posted pics of the serial number so if anyone could help me id it I would appreciate it.

These all sat for years so this is what they look like after a bath. On the 854 I changed the fuel lines, rebuilt the carb and fuel pump and had to hook up the steering shaft. It looks like the po started to take the steering shaft out in an effort to pull the gas tank but stopped. After putting some fuel in it to get it to run the 2 piece tank started to leak a bit. I figure I will line the bottom with the fuel liner after the fuel drains. I fired it up and it ran awesome with no noise, smoke etc.

The 701 turn freely but have not had a chance to do anything more than wash it up. The front end is loose and it really needs a restore. I ended up picking up a complete NOS front end for the 701.

The last one I bought more for the rims and tires but after looking it over it is really clean. I want to say it is a 702 but not sure. Let me know anything you could tell me about any of them. Thanks !!!

Here is the 854

overview-1.jpg

untitled-1.jpg

dashdecal.jpg

serialnumber-1.jpg

Here is the 701

untitled.jpg

Hooddecal.jpg

Serialnumber.jpg

And the last one (702?) (keyswitch on side of dash tower)

Overview.jpg

SerialNumberUnknownTractor.jpg

• Like 1

Ken B

So, where did they all come from? Seems you have tight lips as well eh. Ya gotta let some of us other locals wet our beaks you round hood hoarder you. :ychain: If only I didn't lose my phone.....Seriosly though, I like that 854.

Kelly

Nice find on these, It's nice the 701 the belt guard is there, on the last one it's a 63 or 64 tractor going by the frame and front axle, is that part of a batt. tray on on it? if it's welded to the frame that tells me it's a 63, the 64 would have a bolt on batt box

kpinnc

Nice haul Stevebo!

If the last one is a 702, it's had a front axle change. That axle should be on a 63 or newer.

dclarke

Nice haul Steve! :thumbs:

stevebo

Kelly,

There is no battery box on this one. I posted the serial number.

buckrancher

I doubt it's a 62 unless someone changed the frame. as a 62 frame is flat in the front probably a 63 if 3 bolt rear hubs or 64 if 5 bolt

could also be a put together spare parts tractor made from several year pieces

Kelly

serial no. really does no good, what is that flat plate in front of the steering fan gear? it looks like part of the early batt boxes, they are welded to the frame no bottom just sides, look at the lower steering shaft is the front plate that the tie rods bolt to cast iron or steel? the cast ones are pined to the shaft the steel ones are welded like the 854, if welded it's a 64 if pined it's a 63

speedyleedy

Looks like a nice threesome you took home, great haul ! :bow-yellow:

sscotsman

Here is the 854

dashdecal.jpg

What is the little switch for?

between the key and the throttle..

my 854 doesnt have a switch there..

thanks,

Scot

buckrancher

serial no. really does no good, what is that flat plate in front of the steering fan gear? it looks like part of the early batt boxes, they are welded to the frame no bottom just sides, look at the lower steering shaft is the front plate that the tie rods bolt to cast iron or steel? the cast ones are pined to the shaft the steel ones are welded like the 854, if welded it's a 64 if pined it's a 63

I saw that too Kelly looks like the back side of the welded on 63 battery box

stevebo

i will have to check in the morning as it is out back now. I tend to think this is a mish mash. I got it for the parts (rims/tires and maybe rear end). Is the rear end the same as the 701?

jdog_kustoms

very nice haul steve

stevebo

the toggle I would think is for lights. I have a nice set I plan on installing.

buckrancher

Is the rear end the same as the 701?

yes

stevebo

Brian,

How is your 854 coming along?

AMC RULES

Another nice haul Steve. :text-coolphotos:

Jake Kuhn

Nice haul Steve! :handgestures-thumbup:

gapper

Steve, The 702 would have a one piece fuel tank, I think that was the only year for the one piece tank. The "Dash" with the guage and controls would also be held onto the tank with 4 screws not molded to the tank like the 854. I agree with the others that the front axle is not right for a 702. I have two 702's and there numbers are 62-11934, 62-20692,

buckrancher

Brian,

How is your 854 coming along?

all done Steve up and running with the deck back on take a look in the tale of two horse's thread

Brian

grnlark

Cool looking trio. As someone mentioned above, my 702 also has a one piece gas tank, which btw, if they leak from that big plug in the bottom, I have 24 O-rings left from the 25 pack I had to buy. They are impervious to all fuels, chemicals etc.

CasualObserver

Without the engine, you're hard pressed to figure out what it is. Probably 653 or 753. It has the back side of the 63 welded battery box, and it has the 63 change to the front axle. The prefix 62-xxxxx serial number tags were intended for the 1962 model year. Wheel Horse also restarted the serial numbering system over at that point as well.... That's why serial numbers can appear out of order, and repeat up to somewhere in the late 50,000s. Not all the tags were used on 1962 tractors, and with WH's tendency to use up leftover supplies, the first productions of 1963 tractors also used those 62-xxxxx stickers until they were gone, then they went back to serial numbers without prefixes.

I suppose it could be a 633 too... but I don't remember ever having heard of one with a 62-prefix serial tag. (Doesn't mean they aren't out there though)

WHEEL HORSE BILL

That 701 looks like the one I picked up for $25.00 I love that style good luck with yours.

WHEEL HORSE BILL :USA:

VinsRJ

As always Steve very nice haul..... The 701 is a keeper for sure!