Sign in to follow this  
6wheeler

Strange foods

6wheeler

Hey guys, I've got a question. I was always told that opposums can be eaten. I have never had it,. However, I am not afraid to try new things. I have had raccoon, bear meat , venison, turtles, frogs, and alot of other meat. I have even tried coyote and, believe it or not skunk meat at a game feed. I wasn't particularly fond of the skunk, it was tough and stringy. We have alot of possums around here now and I would like to try it. I was raised," if you shoot it, you should eat it or don't waste shells on it. I am not trying to gross anyone out. But, as a hunter, I am not afraid to try it. Does anyone have a recipe that works? Oh yeah, alligator and crayfish are NOT on my favorites list either. Thanks Pat

can whlvr

possums arnt an indiginous animal here but have been brought here under tractor trailers,they hitch rides under ibe heard because they go for the salt,i know some guys in west viginia that used to eat them,anything that they could shoot or run over it,not me though,i wouldnt eat anything like that,i tried gator and coulnt stomach it

Paul D.

I've tried it...Not overly impressed. Ya have to remember that they are scavengers and will eat anything. If you really want to try it I would cook it in a crockpot with beef stock and onions. And then shred it and eat it on a roll like a French dip. I'm sure there are other recipes out there but that's one that I use for any gamey meat. Squirrel, rabbit exc. I'm kinda partial to deer meat myself.

AMC RULES

Ugh...so much for breakfast. :happy-jumpeveryone:

Operator

Grind it , mix pork with it and make sauage [sp] with it. Then when you decide you don't like it , feed the pups!

• Like 1

DoctorHfuhruhurr

I had ostrich chili once that was pretty good. :)

c161rat

"sewer rat might taste like pumpkin pie but i wouldn't know caus I wouldnt eat the filthy mother <censored>ers"

Jules(Pulp Fiction)

AMC RULES

:orcs-censored: :omg:

stevasaurus

Funny you should ask about that. I've had one stalking the garbage cans here for some time. I just saw him about 15 minutes ago...he did not make it across the road last night. Looked like a good eater too. :)

I think they are right about slow cooking and shredding...but maybe oppossum stew. I am kinda from the school that if you gotta mess with it to make it taste good...it is most likely not worth messin' with.

puddlejumper

I was always told to bake them and they were good. But having grew up in a fur shed I have also eaten most anything that walks and flys around here. With sundown sam being one of the exceptions they are extremely greasy when skinned and I never could get past the fact that they will basically live inside a dead horse or cow untill there is no inside left. Coons, beaver, muskrats, are all more than edible table fair. To go along with that I have tried several different types of fish eating fowl that people have said where good. But you would really have to like strong fishy taste to eat them as in my opinion they were inedible. However snapping turtle isnt half bad.

AMC RULES

Watched a bald eagle make short work of a possum yesterday. Flew away, dropping the carcass...which was nothing more than hide and skeleton, stripped clean as a whistle. Must be good to him. :scratchead:

bowtiebutler956

They are as common as cats and dogs down here, I see them in my back yard every day, but to eat one :jaw::scared-eek::snooty: I don't think so.

6wheeler

OK, its official. I tried one. It stunk like old cat urine when I "skun thu critter". So I washed it and made a kosher salt brine for it. Soaked it for 2 days. Ma made me cook it outside and I "dun er on the low and slow". Wasn't bad. A little gamey but definately edible. A little home made BBQ sauce and, there you go. Not gonna rush out and open up the "Possum Palace Bar and Grille" just yet though. I would sure give all of the RS members a discount if I did. I still don't know why ma made me cook it outside though. Oh well, I think I am gonna try to get a couple of them ghetto chickens that seem to be lurking around the pile of leftovers. Wonder what they taste like.....

AMC RULES

LOL...ghetto chickens? :popcorn:

puddlejumper

The hungrier you are the more edible things become. In my last reply I made the comment about grinners food choices but in all actuality a chicken is probably one of the nastiest animals god put on this earth. And almost everybody will eat them. And there eggs and meat are even better in my opinion if allowed to run in the barn yard to scratch through what the hogs and cows leave behind. Diet makes a big difference, I like fried squirrell and venison but if they have been feeding on hedge apples they are not fit to feed to the hounds.

bowtiebutler956

Ghetto chickens? you mean buzzards :scared-eek: You are braver man then I am. :bow-blue: :text-lol:

6wheeler

dats whut we call dem crows. looks like it will take a few to make a meal. Lotsa feathers. I am from minnesota, bet I can make em into a hotdish hey. :eusa-think: Anyways, so der ya go.

Paul D.

The first time I ever went goose hunting (I was 12) a couple of the old timers we went with took the geese we shot the first morning and ground them up. Thats the meat, gizzard liver, heart and any other organ they thought might be able to be eaten :omg: . They then proceeded to mix it with sloppy joe sauce. I have never been able to stomach goose meat since. When we are goose huntin in the Yupper and they are making goose, I am eating PB and J :hide: