Sign in to follow this  
Wheelhorse84

Chrome hood emblem

Wheelhorse84

Hey guys are those chrome hood emblems not made anymore that go on the top of the hood of the older horses? I see a never been installed one on ebay for $38 and it has 2 days left. I do need one but that seems like alot. Any suggestions. Thanks

GlenPettit

Only $38 for a NOS (New Original Stock) that is a great price, last one on eBay went for over $100.

- - - -

February 13, 2012

On the "Horse Head" Hood Ornaments that I'm in the process of making; they are coming, very slowly.

What I'm doing is like a Jeweler does in making "Lost Wax Castings" of rings & such, but a lot larger,

and like a foundry does, but much smaller and more detailed, so I'm in-between the rules & materials.

I do have perfect Wax casts made, trying to get the plaster (investment) to embed the wax cast, then I

will melt out the wax*, then burn out the residue**, then melt Aluminum*** and pour it into the hot plaster.

Sure sounds simple, learning a whole lot in the process. Final price will likely be up in the $40-50 range.

I will also be making some "horseless", 'like-the-original' Hood Ornaments in Aluminum; both styles of

hood ornaments will have a black rubber base, studs & mounting nuts. Aluminum can be buffed up or

Chrome Plated. Both are about 30% larger than the original base. Results are still be a couple of months off.

Glen

*250ºƒ **1000ºƒ ***1400ºƒ

• Like 1

SPINJIM

If you're not too fussy about the condition, you can pick one up cheap at the Wheel Horse show in June. If you need one that's like new, they're very rare, or wait for Glen to have his ready.

Jim

Wheelhorse84

thanks guys

smoreau

I'm waiting for Glen to get his done. :icecream: I like his work!!

Kelly

Ya the NOS ones are far and few between, and bring good money, I picked a couple up a few years ago before the prices started to climb.

Wheelhorse84

Any luck on those tin pics kelly