Sign in to follow this  
c161rat

Tire chains on front wheels

c161rat

I am having trouble steering my C145 in the snow. Has anyone ran with front tire chains and does it really make a difference????

jdog_kustoms

some people deflate the front tires wrap a pice of bike chain around the center of the tire and inflate it to hold it in place sorta resembles a quad or sand rail front tire when its done with the lip in the center they say it works good but i have never tried it

pfrederi

I have used both teh roller chain and regular chains on the front...regular chains may work a tiny bit better but roller is much cheaper.

Forest Road

#40 roller chain is less than $20 at TSC. It worked great on Ice with my plow. Just figure your length. Deflate a bit slip the chain over the center. And inflate for a perfect fit.

AMC RULES

IIRC, they're supposed to be hard on the driveway though, correct? :dunno:

Kelly

I used reg tire chains one winter, they are ok, but not worth the $50 I spent on them, they are for sale cheap if you want to try B) I have not tried the roller chain yet, I have some here #40 and #50 but my 520 with the tri ribs works just fine.

sorekiwi

I havent tried the roller chain thing, or regular tire chains on the front, but I will say that tri-ribs makes a night and day difference. Steering a lot lighter and the thing will actually turn when you turn the wheels.

Hydro

I havent tried the roller chain thing, or regular tire chains on the front, but I will say that tri-ribs makes a night and day difference. Steering a lot lighter and the thing will actually turn when you turn the wheels.

I would second that!

Before I swaped front ends all I heard was how heavy steering was with a blower. I first put the Vredesteins on the original rims, inflated them to 25 psi and no issue at all. Easy to steer and great traction. They are now on the 520 front end with different rims and hubs, inflated to 15 psi and they steer great and have plenty of grip. I think they are great :)

can whlvr

for gravel drives #40 roller works the best,ive used bike chain and it rolls over,i use the old stuff from my throwers that get new chain,it really works great espscially on ice which is what ive had all year

c161rat

Thanks for all the good ideas!!!! The way this winter is going i may not even need to use the plow again....LOL.....But if i do Im gonna try the roller chain method.