Sign in to follow this  
WHEEL HORSE BILL

tranny oil

WHEEL HORSE BILL

Hey,

Guys first time ever changing tranny oil.All 9 tractors I have pretty much clean oil in them but one I would like to change how do I do that.Is there a plug underneath and where can I get the tranny oil from.

Sparky

What machine are you asking about? Manual tranny or hydro and if its a hydro what year machine as they are not all the same. Also when you pull the tranny dipstick what does the old oil look like? Motor oil or reddish tranny fluid?

Give us some more info and we can get you going in the right direction.

Mike...........

WHEEL HORSE BILL

Sparky the oil in the tranny is like a clear/creamy color is that right. It is an 8 speed tranny.

Jim_M

If it's creamy, it has water in it. The drain plug is underneath, takes an allen wrench, sometimes you have to feel for it.

Sparky

Jim's right about the water making it a creamy color. Get it out by removing the drain which is a 1/4" allen plug. Its under the tranny (of course) near where the tail end of the tow bar hits. It does not stick down so you will need to get on your back to find it. Make sure you clean any crap out of the allen hole so that the allen key goes all the way in. Stripping out the drain plug sucks! If you remove the fill plug or dipstick the oil will drain out faster. Once its out I use 80-90w gear oil in mine. There are many differant opinions on what oil to use ( diff weight, synthetic, etc...) .

Good luck,

Mike............

WHEEL HORSE BILL

Do you know anyone who has the shifter rubber boots for sale.mine is ripped thats how I think water is getting in.please let me know thanks guys.

Trouty56

they are still available from Toro for a few dollars

otrelwood

there is some on ebay also

can whlvr

i buy my 80-90 by the 5 gallon pail,its alot cheaper if you are going to flush a few tractors

Kelly

Buy the boots from a dealer the Ebay ones are way over priced with shipping, my dealer charges about $5 for one.

WHEEL HORSE BILL

So I should go with the 80-90 weight oil and the boot I can get from dealer thanks you guys are great. I'm redoing a C-121 as we speak and this is the one that needs a boot and change oil. I'm waiting on parts from kelly so I can start my 701 when I am done with this one can't wait :ychain: thanks guys.

Rollerman

Yes the boots are much cheaper at the dealer....if your dealer carries parts for Wheel Horse.

Buy two boots so you have one for your 701.

If you were planning on buying one via ebay it will be like getting one for free.

80/90 will work for the trans, just takes time to fill it.

tunahead72

The boot should be Toro part no. 3577, at least for the C-121 (I'll have to take Rollerman's word for the 701). If your dealer doesn't have them in stock, he should be able to order them for you.

Also, if your trans oil has never been changed, you might consider draining all the old stuff out, and then flushing with kerosene/diesel/ATF. There's several threads around here that discuss the details, I can find them for you if you're interested.

WHEEL HORSE BILL

Yes tunahead if you can find out that would be awesome thanks :happy-jumpeveryone:

tunahead72

That was funny, Martin, thanks for sharing. :popcorn:

This is going to look really lame by comparison, and not nearly as entertaining, but these are a couple of the trans flushing links I was talking about earlier:

http://www.wheelhors...smission-fluid/