Sign in to follow this  
wheelhoss

no dip stick

wheelhoss

My 314-8 tractor has no dip stick in the transmission. Do I just 2 of quarts in it and go.

Jim_M

There is a plug in the side of the case. Pull that plug and fill the case slowly until the oil runs out of that hole.

tunahead72

So ... why doesn't it have a dipstick? Does it have the nipple/tube that threads into the top of the trans?

That's the most convenient place to fill the trans, with a funnel. I usually fill it 1-1/2 to 1-3/4 quarts full, drive it around a little, let it settle and top it off as necessary. Or you can use Jim_M's method.

Either way, you should have something there, to keep grass/leaves/dirt out of the trans.

Kelly

My 314 has a dip stick, hard to get to it, but it's there lift the seat look down through a hole it should be on the right side, be sure the dip stick tube is not broke off and leaving a hole in the top of the trans for crap to get in.

wheelhoss

No dip stick at all just drain plug and the plug on the side of the left

Kelly

I'll try to get a pic of mine tomorrow, but I've never seen a newer 8 speed with out one.

can whlvr

i was thinking that too kelly but didnt want to put my foot in my mouth like i have before,it could just have a plug in there because soeone broke it and didnt want to fix it correctly

Rollerman

Sounds like it has a swapped in earlier 8 speed trans?

If not the plastic dip stick tube might of been broken, I've seen that too.

Go to pull the dip stick & the whole assembly comes out.

Wheelhoss with your seat flipped up you should be able to see the the top of the trans.

Get a light & look around some, make sure it's not full of grass clippings & debris.

But with the seat up looking down from the back of the tractor there should be a dipstick off to the right side on top of the trans.

If you don't see it make sure that it's not..."broken off" & you have an open hole in your transmission case.

Kelly

Ok here is pics of my 95 314 8 speed, see the round hole on the right of the pic, look straight down in the dip stick should be there, now on this tractor the dip stick is only about 1" out of the top of the trans, my older 310 the dip stick comes up to the fender pan, I took a pic of the 314 from under the gas tank, this is not a easy dip stick to get to, and it was partly covered with grass.

post-85-0-11758700-1329086081_thumb.jpg

post-85-0-01106400-1329086227_thumb.jpg

TT

Location more easily seen in this B-80 8 speed pic:

B-808speed018.jpg

The 1967 & 68 #5060 6 speed Uni-Drive was the only one without a hole machined in the case for a dipstick.