Sign in to follow this  
boatman

gt-14 trans problem

boatman

I have a 1969 gt-14 that is leaking oil between the rear end halves. I know I'll

have to pull rear end out but i have never had a trany apart. Is this a major

deal and what do I need to look out for in breaking rear end in to?

refracman

First check to see if you can get the hubs off while the trans is still in the tractor, thats the hardest part of the job, and most likey they will not come off, they are much harder that the regular hubs to get off.

If the leak is more of a seap I would let it be and throw a cookie sheet under it.

O and don't use a hammer to help them along. theres a good chance you can damage the retaining snap ring groove, yep been ther done that.

Ole MN

iv'e done this a couple of times. Not that hard to do. First get new gaskets you can get them form Toro. Pull rear out split motor from rear, than split rea in half. Watch out there are needle bearings.

What I would do next is make sure both halfs are flat, didn't do that on mine and they do leak alittle. New gaskets put back togather should be good.

boatman

THANKS GUYS for the replies. Trans leak is a so so leak. It just makes a mess when

parked.I saw in another post that someone used some lucas oil for transmissions and it

has some kinda of sealer in it. Was wondering if this would be ok to try in my hydro trans?

That would sure be an easy way to go if not harmful to trans. Has anyone used this in a hydro?

Thanks

can whlvr

personally i would put a pail or plywood under it before i put that type of sealant in there,its really just a band aid that could plug up the wrong things