Sign in to follow this  
tommyg

oil pressure gauge for a d180

tommyg

I've been wondering... my D180 does not have an oil pressure gauge. Is there a reason why I could not install one? There's an opening in the dash panel for one, but it's just the knockout. If so, where would a sending unit be located on the engine? I know I've seen other d series tractors with a pressure gauge. Mine's a 1975 with an 18hp Kohler. Any info would be appreciated.

.5racer

dont know about the Kohler ,but the Onan is right by the filter behind the tin. Little 1/8 plug, and any oil gauge with line kit should have the line and fittings

pfrederi

On my D200 it is 4.5" directly above the oil filler tube entering the block.

JamesBe1

This is from the toro site:

101542 Engine Oil Pressure Gauge N.L.A. Original Model Supersedes To: 8-4130

At least they had them for the D180. Mayhaps someone has some NOS somewhere. Good luck.

pfrederi

Any 12v electric or a mechanical one will work. i am using a $19 SunPro mechanical gauge on my D200 (any auto parts store has them. Comes with all the tubing and fittings you need.

JamesBe1

Any 12v electric or a mechanical one will work. i am using a $19 SunPro mechanical gauge on my D200 (any auto parts store has them. Comes with all the tubing and fittings you need.

Would that be this one:

http://www.sunpro.com/product_detail.php?pid=16364

It looks like a great deal. If you figure out where to connect on to a D-180, please let me know. I'll probably install one if I ever get my engine running reliably, lol.

James

pfrederi

That is the one..i think the price was better at PepBoys 18.99 Here is how it hooks up on a D200 should be same location for yours.

b162d7173601038.jpg

JamesBe1

Outstanding. I have a Pep Boys not too far from me. I think I'll swing by there this afternoon. They might even have a leak down tester. BTW, what oil pressure does your gage normally read?

Thanx,

James

pfrederi

50 on startup about 40 warmed up

JamesBe1

Got my gage this evening. $17.99. Not a bad deal even for cheap made in china stuff. Maybe someday soon I will upgrade to a made in usa one.

Since I got my carb soaking overnight, I won't be able to start it for a couple of days. I'll let you know how it goes.

Did you bother to hook up the backlighting?

pfrederi

Got my gage this evening. $17.99. Not a bad deal even for cheap made in china stuff. Maybe someday soon I will upgrade to a made in usa one.

Since I got my carb soaking overnight, I won't be able to start it for a couple of days. I'll let you know how it goes.

Did you bother to hook up the backlighting?

I did hook up the lights on it and my sunpro temp guage for the hydro. Maybe made in china but i wasted time (and money) on two "good" take out original temp guages that didn't work right. The little dash panel light really doesn't illuminate things too well.

JamesBe1

Got my gage installed this afternoon and got it running after cleaning the carb for the past couple of days. Great little gage.

Unfortunately, I only have 30 - 35 at full throttle, and about 15 at idle. Can anyone tell me if this is too low?

pfrederi

Are you using straight 30W?

38806d174045763.jpg

JamesBe1

I am using 10W30.

The crankcase breather valve is essentially a check valve that will allow flow from the crankcase to the carb, but not the other way. I think in my case, there is definitely flow from the crankcase.

On my K482, I cannot find an acorn nut near the #1 cylinder. Just so I am looking in the right spot, the number one cylinder is on the left? Does forward of the engine indicate towards the front of the tractor, or do I have to remove some of the tin to get to it? Is it located towards the top or the bottom of the engine?

pfrederi

Acorn nut was on early models. mine has an allen set screw. Left side, Flywheel end about in line with the hole the stator wires come out of. Have to get down on your knees and look up under the cylinder shrouds

JamesBe1

Darn. I was hoping it would be easier. I guess I'll get to know it better when I take it apart to replace the rings.

Thanx Paul.

tommyg

Gees, I gave up on this post after a few days. Should have stuck it out! Thanks for the info. I'm going to check it out!

bewford

i would try switching to 30W oil and see if it helps your oil pressure, then adjust oil pressure

JamesBe1

i would try switching to 30W oil and see if it helps your oil pressure, then adjust oil pressure

In my case, I snapped a rod and had to replace the whole engine. Luckily, I found a D-180 on craigslist with a good motor for sale not to far from me. I replaced it, and I get good oil pressure.