slufoot733

D-200 replacement mufflers

slufoot733

Has anyone found a CHEAP muffler that will fit the D-200 tractors. Mine has the original mufflers and one is seriously cracked. The original mufflers are way too expensive (if they can even be found to begin with). Surely there must be a suitable alternative out there somewhere that is reasonably priced. I tried my local TSC. They were close except it was about 6" too long. I will continue my search but I thought I would tap this knowledge base for information.

Thanks,

Kevin

Trouty56

Kevin, you don't want to go to a single do you?? Maybe a stack or just one out the side???

stevebo

I bought a set of Nelson mufflers off ebay about 2 years ago that had a 1 inch in and outlet (female pipe thread). They were reasonable. Not sure if you could find them again??

slufoot733

Bob, converting to a single really isn't an option since the cylinders oppose each other and the PTO is between the exhaust ports. The idea of coming out the side is an option. If I did then I could adapt one of the slightly larger mufflers available at TSC. But I'd rather not have to make a change like that though I will not rule it out.

Stevebo, my original mufflers are NELSONs. The name is stamped right in the can but I cannot find a model/part number. eBay has noting like these right now but I will continue to look there.

Kevin

Trouty56

Well....I have a single stack on my d-180. I have it figured out fairly well. Look very closely at my avatar......

pfrederi

Use Brigs and Stratton 291519

Here is a link to picture of my original install

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php/topic/15179-d-series-muffler-replacements/page__p__130189__hl__pfrederi__fromsearch__1#entry130189

Later I replaced the elbows on the lower end with nipple and caps.

Get yourself some black iron pipe nipples and caps to put on the lower end. Drill 1/4" holes along one side of the nipples (just like your original muffler) and cap the end. if you leave the end open you will have brown spots in you yard if you stop for any time at all

Trouty56

That b&s muffler is a good replacement. The other is too big in all dimensions really.

wheeledhorseman

Really useful stuff here - I'm convinced we 'D' owners really need a 'D' section on the forum.

I've started a thread in the 'site suggestions' section. http://www.wheelhors...n-on-the-forum/

Please check it out and give your support if you agree.

• Like 2

slufoot733

Trouty, that's some fancy plumbing. I'll have to consider that. Thanks.

And thanks everyone for the info.

slufoot733

Well, I thought I had located a good muffler for this but it fell apart on me. I stopped by the local NAPA store and the lady working there found a WALKER muffler in her catalog. It had a 1 3/8" ID inlet and a 9 1/2" long x 3 1/4" wide body. Perfect. She ordered two for me and today I stopped to pick them up. When she pulled one out of the box we both immediately looked at each other. That body was NOT 9 1/2"....it was 13"! She double checked the catalog (on the computer) and it states 9 1/2" body. They were nice looking mufflers but were way too long. She was very apologetic and I told her not to worry about it. It certainly was not her fault. She said she'd do some digging and see what she can find for me.

Guess that's all part of this hobby. The hunt is a big part of the restoration or maintaince.

JamesBe1

Having a hard time finding B&S 291519. Most places that list it say it is NLA. The closest I can come up with is a replacement muffler from K&T Parts House.

Has anyone ever done business with them?

The price seems seems pretty reasonable at $31.45 each.

slufoot733

UPDATE: I found a possible replacement for the D-200 muffler. On eBay I found this: http://www.ebay.com/...984.m1438.l2649 . It's a Kohler 237550/Cub Cadet 393840-R91. It's not the same configuration, however, the overall canister size will fit. The inlet is on the side of the muffler rather than the top which allows for the longer canister body. The outlet pipe is the same diameter as the originals. I have ordered two of these and expect delivery in about five days. I will immediately try them out and post the results here.

In my search I have found these same mufflers at verious places with prices ranging from $21.99 to over $80. I see no difference between the cheap one and the expensive ones. They all have the same part number. I guess it pays to shop around.

JamesBe1

Thanx slufoot. Let me know how it works out. I am on the verge of ordering the ones I noted above. I'll hold off until I hear how yours turns out.

Do you know if the bottom is sealed so that the exhaust doesn't point straight down at the ground?

James

slufoot733

James, it looks to me that the bottom IS NOT sealed, rather, the ends of the pipe bend slightly. That may work on one side by direction the exhaust outward but will not work on the other side. There is would direct the hot gas inward. I plan to cut the tips off and install a 90 degree pipe to direct the gasses out either side. I hope to find a small pipe at TSC or have some bent at my local muffler shop.

I will keep you posted.

slufoot733

Pfrederi, I tried like crazy to find that B&S 291519 muffler. Though it is still listed at several places everyone tell me it is no longer available. I guess if someone still has some on their shelves then it's just luck to find one or two. But K&T told me they don't have them anymore. I was tempted to email them back and ask why they still list them then but I figured I'd be talking in the wind. The 291519 was my first choice.

JamesBe1

Pfrederi, I tried like crazy to find that B&S 291519 muffler. Though it is still listed at several places everyone tell me it is no longer available. I guess if someone still has some on their shelves then it's just luck to find one or two. But K&T told me they don't have them anymore. I was tempted to email them back and ask why they still list them then but I figured I'd be talking in the wind. The 291519 was my first choice.

Slufoot, did you try to get the #8942 mufflers from K&T?

slufoot733

James, the 8942 is the same thing as the 291519. 8942 is K&T's part number for the Briggs & Stratton #291519. At least that's what I understood. I sent K&T an email with a screen print of their own online catalog page showing the muffler and both part numbers. Here's the reply I received from the:

sorry,

8942 is no longer available

You might try calling Kevin he may

know of something that will work for you.

You can call Kevin Caudill @ 606-875-0125

During the day call after 2:00 PM eastern time until 5:00 am most days.

If you get the answering machine try 606-678-9623 this is the business

number

Thanks,

K & T Saw Shop

1199 north hwy 1247

Somerset Ky 42503

I never bothered calling because I found this other muffler. If they not work then maybe I will call Kevin @ K&T.

Kevin

JamesBe1

Thanx Kevin.

I did the same thing. I emailed them with a screenshot of their catalog page asking them if they were still in stock. Haven't heard back from them yet. I'd be surprised to hear from them, and even more surprised to hear that they have them. I never bothered calling their number, I figured they wouldn't run right back to the stock room and verify their inventory for me, so what's the point.

Did you try any of the other places the Paul listed?

James

slufoot733

No I didn't. When I was searching for mifflers I ran across the 237550 model and after doing some study on how it could be installed, and the price of only $22 each, I elected to order these and see how it goes. I believe that with the inlet mounted on the side I will be able to mount them without any problem. But we will see when they get her (estimated Feb 14 or 15). As soon as they arrive I will pull them out and hand fit them to see. I will try to post a few pics on the installation, before & after, etc.

chevelletown

These are built using some Briggs mufflers purchased from Maple Grove Distributing in Galveston, IN. A couple pieces of black pipe, a little welding and some time on the mill, these fit, looked and sounded close to stock. Its been a while since I made these but you might try and contact MGD and see if they still have them in stock.

wheelhorse010.jpg

wheelhorse011.jpg

wheelhorse006.jpg

wheelhorse013.jpg

• Like 1

jusjeepn

Maple Grove Distributing

10998 E SR18

Galveston, IN. 46932

(574)-699-6571

They do ship nation wide!

And no, you can't use my account! :):ychain:

JamesBe1

Thanx chevelletown.

One of these days I am going to learn how to weld. It's a very useful skill to have. You mentioned some time on the mill? What exactly did you have to mill on these?

James

slufoot733

Now those look right nice. I love the closed end and drilled exit holes.I don't plan on drilling holes like that, just an elbow to shoot the exhaust out the side.