Sign in to follow this  
Teddy da Bear

What is it?

Teddy da Bear

I have been somewhat familiar with IH Lo Boys and own a 154.

An opprotunity came along to buy another one.

The current owner sent me some pictures that included this one.

What the heck is it? Typically you will find a pulley and V-belt.....not a sprocket and chain! Is this some kind of deck drive also?

I have never seen anything like it in the 4 years I have been involved with lo boys.

It has the name "carlock" on it and a town of origin. But upon doing a internet search on this name and location. Most of the businesses in that town seem to be named 'carlock". Must be a proper name for somebody.

Can anyone help me out? Seen one of these before?

Current owner does not have a clue as all he used it for was pushing snow.

Thanks

Attached Image

post-11-1214967755.jpg

CasualObserver

I've repeated your question over at the IH Cub board... should have an answer for you shortly. B)

Teddy da Bear

Jason,

If your talking about the lo boy forum on yahoo.....been there....done that.....no answer after about 4 days of waiting.

thanks

CasualObserver

No... a different one... so far one of the guys thinks it's for a spreader or pump of some sort.

chevelletown

I've got a 185 Lowboy so I'm always looking at pictures and attachments. I've seen snow throwers on these (they are huge) so could it be a pto adapter for a snow thrower? B)

perry

It has the name "carlock" on it and a town of origin. But upon doing a internet search on this name and location. Most of the businesses in that town seem to be named 'carlock". Must be a proper name for somebody.

Thanks

You know how in the city they have those boots for car tires... well this is a boot for a tractor. Goes on the pto so no one can use it!

wh500special

What's on the OTHER side of the sprocket? My dad's neighbor had a belly mower on an 8N Ford that had a similar arrangement. On his, the chain dropped down to a spocket as it does in your photo. on the reverse side was a PTO shaft that stuck toward the front of the tractor. That stub shaft - you guessed it - drove the mower gearbox via another PTO shaft.

I have no idea what brand of mower it was (not Woods, Ford, or Bush Hog) and it was the only one I ever saw. Not sure if they still have the deck or not, but they do have the tractor so I will see. There wasn't a lot of clearance under that tractor either, so I don't think the belly mower lifted off the ground...i think it was fisxed height.

Perhaps Rube Goldberg had a hand in this?

Steve

Teddy da Bear

Well, as most lo boy collectors know. The rear PTO runs in "reverse" compared to all other typical tractors and impliments.

There is a very rare option that was available but I have never seen one.

It was a device that would make it possible to run standard PTO impliments on the lo boy. As described to me....it reversed the backwards running PTO.

I was wondering if there was an outside chance that this was one of those rare reversing devices? In other words the power is coming from the front of the tractor (off the engine pulley) directed by a drive shaft to the rear sprocket and the PTO driven in reverse (while disengaged) by the chain and sprocket at the top.

CasualObserver

Mike, what city and state is written under the "Carlock" on the decal? And do you know which way the sprocket spins... is it also in reverse?