Sign in to follow this  
Shuboxlover

The Dark Side!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shuboxlover

I am going to be looking at a John Deere 430 this weekend. DOes anyone have any sugestions as to what I should look out for? 1200hrs...

Rollerman

The green paint, it has lead in it & will make you go nuts.

Soon you will be buying more greenies.

Serious though isn't the 430 the larger sized "super" GT with the diesel engine.

• Like 1

fireman

The 430 has the Yanmar 3-cyl diesel engine in it. That thing is a beast at 1200 lbs. I would check the usual stuff. I don't know of any specific problems. I'd love to find one!

WH4ME

Red is the color of a tractor,green is the color of crops.

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Huh? :scratchead:JD green does what to your nuts? :banana-explosion:

• Like 2

kloe0699

Once you go green you don't go back.. From there it goes to Bolens, Simplicity, CRAFTSMAN... :naughty: Don't do it Tyson.... :ychain:

Shuboxlover

Does anyone on here have one? The one thing I was worried about is the weight.....do you think it will compact the yard too much. I have an aerator, but worried this beast will do bad things to my turf. What's your thoughts?

Shuboxlover

Once you go green you don't go back.. From there it goes to Bolens, Simplicity, CRAFTSMAN... :naughty: Don't do it Tyson.... :ychain:

Don't you mean.........Simplicity, Yardman, Scotts, Murry, THEN Craftsman???

kloe0699

Don't you mean.........Simplicity, Yardman, Scotts, Murry, THEN Craftsman???

Haha.. I just looked one of those up... Yikes! Pretty big machine. I don't have one, so I can't help ya, looks to be pretty serious tractor though, hope you get it.

Rollerman

Does anyone on here have one? The one thing I was worried about is the weight.....do you think it will compact the yard too much. I have an aerator, but worried this beast will do bad things to my turf. What's your thoughts?

I wouldn't worry about it to much, the lawn is bound to die anyways when it sees the Deere. :ychain:

The larger & wider tires should help offset the additional weight of the 430, I don't think it should be a big concern.

I don't know a whole lot about the JD 430's other than there a pretty desirable tractor.

If you need more info our end up getting it you should check out Weekend Freedom Machines.

http://weekendfreedommachines.com/

They are to JD GT's what RS is to our Horse's

T-Mo

The 430 may arguably be the best garden tractor made. It's part of the Deere's 400 series line, which included the 420. The 430 is the king of the plow day events. I drove a couple of them now and have to say, it's on my wish list. It will pull a single moldboard plow through some of the worst plow conditions and do it at an idle. The 3 cylinder Yanmar engine sips the fuel at about half the rate of a gas engine, so the big fuel tank full of diesel will last you a long time. The down side is that they will cost you more money up front to buy than other tractors. As Steve (Rollerman) mentioned, www.weekendfreedommachines.com is the place to find more info on it and other John Deeres.

post-30-0-43174700-1327579536_thumb.jpg

Rollerman

The 430 may arguably be the best garden tractor made.

Wow, from an RS moderator...this hurts! :ychain:

Keep us updated on the 430 if you buy it or decide to pass.

dennist

I have had a few of the 430's and they are an excellent tractor. The size and weight are no problem and with the power steering you can back that big tractor in a very small tight spot with one finger-no struggling with the wheel. As stated above they just sip the fuel and WFM is the place to go for info. They are a little tight to work on IMO(the down side) Here is one with the front end loader and my boy just playing on it, we were using the broadcast spreader for weight

post-3300-0-37382900-1327589612_thumb.jp

• Like 1

bowtieguy

One of them green things "might" make a good boat anchor!

dennist

One of them green things "might" make a good boat anchor!

Just wondering if you have ever been on one of the 430's?

hm12460

It's the king of garden tractors, of any brand.

kloe0699

Now I'm seriously looking at them! :hide:

They look like they are all business.

AMC RULES

Holy sheep dip Batman, what's that...10K worth of tractor sitting there? :dunno:

6wheeler

If I were to get the tractor I REALLY want, it would be a 430. I had the pure and absolute pleasure of testing one. Our local JD dealer brought one out for us to try out. I think it was because we had just bought a new 4640 farm tractor from them at that time. It was an awesome machine. It had a 72" shaft driven deck on it and there was an endless list of implements available for it. Our only problem with it was that it was just too big for what we needed around the farm. The cost of it just couldn't be justified. At that time JD didn't really have any compact tractors that could do double duty as it were. Whereas Allis Chalmers and Deutz did. I think these were basically opening the compact door for JD. I saw a very nice 430 and an equally nice 400 go at an auction last fall. The prices shocked me. almost $3000.00 for the 400 and $5800.00 for the 430. What really surprised me was, there was a reposessed X-485 with 75 hours on it that didn't bring $2000.00. But they all sold, so I guess it is all in what you want. You know what they say, Red Belongs in the Shed. But, Green Like Money don't hurt either. :eusa-think:

T-Mo

The 430's replacement, the 455 would also be on my list. I have the gas version of the 455, a 445. But I would to have a 430 or a 455. The foot controls on the 445 and 455 are real nice.

stevebo

My buddy has a 420 which is the same machine with a 20hp gas (I think). IMO the size is just way too big for smaller yards as it is really big. Everything on these machines are just bigger. If I were looking to use it on a farm or if I had a very large property that I needed to work then it would be good. No knock on the performance or anything as I have not worked one. I "may" have test driven his but I will not admit that.....

Don1977

I have a John Deere 430 but it's a little bigger than thoes.

IMGP1397.jpg

520HC

I'm a Wheel Horse Guy from way back,but I have 2 John Deere 420's. I mow 3 acres of grass each week,1 has a 3-point hitch, and I love going to plow days with it.

546cowboy

I have seen some 420's on CL around here but they have all been about $4000 or higher. I have only worked on a couple of JD's and they are a nightmare compared to a Wheel Horse. Besides that, just how many Horses could you buy with that $4K? I did almost trade a guy about three years ago for I think it was a 420 with a water cooled Kawasaki I think it was. It was in really bad shape though and am glad I didn't do that deal.

Shuboxlover

I didn't pay anywhere near $4k for my 430....in fact, I paid the same amount for my 430, as I did for my 520!!!!

I got a smoking deal on my 430, I would venture to say that most people on here would have jumped on this deal, even if you aren't a deere fan. But I defintily would agree with the fact that the WH's are easier to work on (AND CHEAPER) than the deere's