Sign in to follow this  
twisted metal

Axle swap

twisted metal

I'm putting a 520H heavy duty foward sweep axle under my C-120. Will I need the steering shaft from a

520 also ? The holes are to small in my steering shaft for the bigger 520 ends and they are to close to the corners

to drill them out. I can modify the one I have but I'm also wondering if the arm coming off the 520 shafts where the

tie rods bolt up is longer than the other models.It looks to me that they should to give a little more clearence so the

rod ends won't hit the frame. Has anyone else ever done this swap?

kpinnc

You will need the forward steering shaft from a 1990 model 520 as well. 1991 and up will have reduction steering, which is a whole different animal and usually expensive to obtain. It's the part you're talking about that the tie rods connect to. The 520 shaft "plate" has a bend in it to help prevent the tie rods from binding when used with a forward swept axle. You can modify the one you have- if you can weld, to provide the same function. It would be a good idea to find an original to measure, because you won't have the correct "throw" on the tie rods if you don't.

Here's one I modified, but not for a WH axle. Still the same basic idea. You can see the piece welded to the bottom of the plate to provide the right angle. It's in brown primer:

003-1.jpg

Good luck with the project!

twisted metal

Thanks, Thats exactly what I was thinking about doing. I have a freind who has a 520 with the foward swept axle but I'm not sure what year his is hopefully

it will be the right one.

kpinnc

If it has the forward swept axle, then the spindle "plate" will be the same regardless of the year. You can still measure and copy it for your axle. The reduction steering versions are only different at the other end of the shaft, at the fan gear.

Hydro

I just converted my 314 to a 520 front end. I also bought the gear reduction steering which started in 1991. It was a simple enough change over but you will need the steering shaft from the 520 if you have the gear reduction steering. I also added hubs and changed out the front rims to a 4 bolt pattern. Does it ever steer easily. Looks and feels like a much heavier tractor. While I was at it I swaped out the 14 hp for the 16 Kohler.

twisted metal

I haven't been able to find gear reduction steering for mine yet, not many parts here in TN. What I have been able to find has mostly been on Ebay. I put a 16 HP

Kohler on mine several years back and with the 42" side discharge deck it's a grass mowin machine!

Hydro

You mean a Weapon of Grass of Destruction! :violence-blades:

That 16 makes the Wheel Horse an awesome machine. I just love mine. :party:

I don't know but others do on this site, whether the bolt pattern is the same on the frame likely not but everything for my conversion just fit into place. I'm sure the frames are not that much different for drilling so if you can get the reduction steering it's awesome They started that in 1991. I know there are lots of 520's around without engines so maybe you can do one modification and then later another.

:flags-canada:

mdn1081

Going to do the 520 front axle swap into my C-175. I dont think I will do the gear reduction swap though. I plan on running 16 7-50 8 ags on the front and dual 26 12 12 ags on the back should be crazy looking.

Hydro

Looking forward to pics

mdn1081

Ya I wish I could start on it right now. It needs alot of paint and money which I am lacking right now :(

twisted metal

It will definetely be a wide rascal !