Sign in to follow this  
Electro12WH

Franken Clutch

Electro12WH

I'm trying to decide whether to adapt a Harbor Freight engine to a B80. I want to use the PTO operated equipment. Have any of you done this? How do I adapt the original PTO clutch?

smoreau

Most likely it will have a 1" output shaft and in order to make the stock clutch fit you have two options, find the rare 1" pulley and clutch set up or get the 1" to 1 1/8" sleeve adapter. they can be found on flee bay

TT

A B-80 already has a 1" bore pulley & inner race for the clutch bearing. If the replacement engine has a 1" crankshaft, you're all set. th_thumbsup2.gif

You might have to do a little creative fabrication to get the upper PTO bracket bolted to the new engine correctly. As long as you position the crankshaft centerline of the new engine in the same place as the Kohler, the rest of the PTO should go together easily.

smoreau

A B-80 already has a 1" bore pulley & inner race for the clutch bearing. If the replacement engine has a 1" crankshaft, you're all set. th_thumbsup2.gif

You might have to do a little creative fabrication to get the upper PTO bracket bolted to the new engine correctly. As long as you position the crankshaft centerline of the new engine in the same place as the Kohler, the rest of the PTO should go together easily.

Cool! I didn't know that about the B-80. Your the best TT

TT

Because I feel like typing :D : The Raider 8, Commando 800, 1973 8 ~ 4 speed & 8 ~ 8 speed, B-60, B-80, C-81, C-85, GT-1100/1142 &1600/1642 (and possibly a few others) all used the 4" OD / 1" bore engine pulley.

The "needle in a haystack" engine pulley is the 5¼" OD / 1" bore for the hydros.

can whlvr

i think my 308-8 had that pulley as well

twisted metal

I bought a 16 hp Kohler from nothern tool and put on a B-80 then swapped it to a C-120 and there were no major issues with either swap.

Electro12WH

No, using a Kohler engine wouldn't be a problem. That upper mount is the issue, provided the crank center line lines up. Also the belt guard upper mount.

Don1977

The 420 CC engine has the holes to mount the upper bracket It may need a couple of washer behind the bracket . I think top holes set back from the others.

http://www.harborfre...rnia-68306.html