Sign in to follow this  
Hodge71

D series plow on a 416????

kpinnc

The D tranny is the same as a C series the difference is one is called a divorced hydro (pump and motor are separate D series) and (the other the pump and motor are together C series)

To clarify: The newer (1974 and up I think) Sundstrands are VERY close- close enough to make it work anyway. The D pump and motor are connected by a manifold, and the C pump and motor just bolt together without the manifold. The real difference is the input shaft of the pump. The C pump has a keyed shaft, and on the D it's splined. You'll have to swap that part out, which means you'll be going into the pump regardless.

The older Sundstrand "hydrogear" transmissions had an integrated pump and motor. There were internal differences too, mainly that the pistons were different.

Hodge71

Kpinnc, This tractor is a 73. Its a very late '73 18 auto, but its still a 1973. From what I've been told by others who knopw more than I do, the switch with Sundstrand happened in mid to late 73. I guess I will find out when I get to my hydro guy today.

The knowlege base on here blows me away. Thank you all for the help youve given me to this point. I will be seeing what I'm up against this afternoon.

73-18 automatic

Sorry I was not that defined