Sign in to follow this  
edur1710

314-8 dead?

edur1710

i have a 314-8 just put a new battery in it about a month ago its been hooked up to the battery tender all winter long went to start it nothing at all. hooked the charger up and the starter is spinning but not turning the engine over whats goin on??

CTPATRIOT

Try tapping the starter while cranking it.Could also need more juice...

edur1710

i tapped the starter a little bit and it didnt help any.. think maybe it could be a fuse or something??

CRE1992

No, not a fuse, try cleaning the starter and battery grounds, and connections on the solenoid. If it still doesn't engage the flywheel the Bendix could be stuck. Or your battery doesn't have enough cold cranking amps.

edur1710

alright that goin to be tomorrows project after work it ran fine up until about a week ago i dunno whats goin on?

Forest Road

Put a set of jumper cables on it. You might have too small a battery for this cold weather.

pfrederi

i have a 314-8 just put a new battery in it about a month ago its been hooked up to the battery tender all winter long went to start it nothing at all. hooked the charger up and the starter is spinning but not turning the engine over whats goin on??

If teh starter is spinning at full speed but not moving the engine your pinion is stuck. Quick fix is to try to spray some electrical contact cleaner (or even brake clean in there.) After teh snow you should pull the starter motor and clean teh pinion shaft .

Sparky

After its clean you should get some powdered graphite to lube it up. No liquids (oils) or greases as they will allow any grit and crud to stick to the starter gear shaft.

Mike........

edur1710

yeah i'll try that today when i get home i got about 8 inches of snow to deal with so it has to run today i gotta get my snow plowed!!

edur1710

put a new battery in it and works fine must have been a bad battery and that battery was only a month old

Sparky

Great news! Can the old battery be returned?

Mike........

edur1710

I think so its only a month old good thing the battery in my c-161 is brand new too lol

SAM58

i HAD A SIMILAR PROBLEM, HAD TO REMOVE THE STARTER AND CLEAN OUT JUNK AROUND THE BENDIX...

STARTER WOULD SPIN, BUT WOULD NOT ENGAGE.

FIXED MY PROBLEM.