Sign in to follow this  
BairleaFarm

c-81 Questions

BairleaFarm

Im thinking about buying a c-81 thats all I know about it. No year no nothing. Tell me the good the bad and the ugly on this tractor if you wouldnt mind.

Thanks

David

011510010308011614200805193f92fefee0cab853370082cc.jpg

rocking 416

Hmm maybe 78-79 not 100% sure ......i have two a 78-an 79 there good tractors need some tlc the decks dont seem to last. only thing i can say thats bad about them

BairleaFarm

Are they hydro drive of is it set up close to my 73 4speed?

TT

Why do you want to buy it? Do you have a particular purpose or need for it, or is it just because it's a Wheel Horse? How much is the asking price?

Otherwise, it is what it says it is - a C-81. It is naturally an 8 speed because the hydro was not offered in the 8hp B&C models. The transaxle has an 8 pinion differential and 1 1/8" axles, which is the strongest gear Uni-Drive model made. It has a K-181 engine, identical to the tractor you have now, except it is rubber-mounted to the frame.

rocking 416

i have not seen a hydro drive c81 . That does not mean they dont exist, i dont belive they do . the one in your picture looks to be a 8 speed uni drive . and i do not no anything about a 4 speed .. i would have to re check my numbers but i think if the serial number is on the dash panel near the shifters its a 1978 my 1979 has the serial numbers near the steering gears

TT

And you can always go to Toro.com and look this stuff up.

Use 91-08K801 for a model number. Clicking on the "view product features" link will get you the basic information. You can also look at the IPL while you're there.

BairleaFarm

Its 300$neg comes with a deck, plow, chains, wheel weights, and a non WH dump cart. I want another mower as my current one has just died. And yes I want this one because its a WH. Tractor starts but only runs for a few minutes. Until I get my other one back together(might be awhile) I will be using this to mow. Occasionally using the blade as well.

TT

If the attachments are in good condition, and the tractor isn't worn out with bad tires, etc., that's not a terrible price. I'd be a little concerned with the "shutting off after a few minutes" deal, but that could be as simple as a fuel delivery problem or a bad ignition coil. :WRS:

I only asked what your intentions were because too many people expect the 8hp tractors to do the work of the big block powered machines and end up disappointed with them. The 8hp Kohler will run a 36" mower deck well, and - under the right conditions - a 42" deck isn't beyond their capability.

If the tractor was properly maintained, it should be good for many more years of service. :whistle:

BairleaFarm

I can push mow my yard in 1 hour so I dont think ill over work her. Its more of a hobby. Ive spent the last 4 years convincing my some what gullible wife i needed a riding mower. Price is decent for around here comparably speaking. (i figure fuel prices for P/u) kinda slim pickings as far as lower priced wheel horses in this area.

mcwh1950

as tt said i use my c81 for cutting grass and hauling the wagon around the yard i use a 36 rd deck on it. had no problem whit it for the last 4 year.

000_0072-1.jpg