Sign in to follow this  
C-85

C-85 Charging Issues

C-85

I have a 1981 C-85 and I'd like to convert my headlights and tailights (I added these, but there what come on stock tailights) to LED's.

When I plow in the dark it takes me a long time and by the time I'm done my battery needs charging. While I plow the amp meter's needle is off to the left by quite a bit. The best way would be to upgrade to the higher altenator but that would be a lot harder for me. If I could get LED's that take less power I think that would help a lot.

Does anyone have a conversion chart from incandents to LED headlights and tailight for C-series? :bow-blue:

C-85

Sparky

When I plow in the dark it takes me a long time and by the time I'm done my battery needs charging. While I plow the amp meter's needle is off to the left by quite a bit. The best way would be to upgrade to the higher altenator but that would be a lot harder for me. If I could get LED's that take less power I think that would help a lot.

Does anyone have a conversion chart from incandents to LED headlights and tailight for C-series? :bow-blue:

C-85

Your machine has the Kohler 15 amp alternator and should be plenty for head light, tail light, and charging the battery. I'm thinking you have a charging issue, not an under size alternator. Fix that part first and you'll be all set.

Mike........

HorseFixer

I have a 1981 C-85 and I'd like to convert my headlights and tailights (I added these, but there what come on stock tailights) to LED's.

C-85

C-85 I have to agree with Sparky on the charging system weakness you have. That needs to be checked with and Multimeter clip it on yer Bat start the tractor turn it On DC Volts and watch the reading put the throttle where you are normally run it and look at the reading lights off after starting the tractor you have taken the float voltage off the battery but it should start to climb back up. Now turn the lights on it may drop a bit but the voltage regulator when it starts to drop will shoot the Juice to it again.

Now as far as bulbs go find the wattage use Ohms law >> Amperage X Voltage = Wattage Wattage / Voltage = Amperage Led's will help, but yer skirting your problem. Your Battery may not hold a charge very well Charge it up and hook a voltmeter to it and watch it and leave it hooked up and record the voltage say every 1/2 hour or so It should never drop below 12 volts and I think after fully charged should maybe above 12.25 volts after several hours. Make sure when your running lights you keep the engine at high RPM's. If yer just Idling around it may not charge good. Good Luck with it tell us what ya come up with. :thumbs:

~Duke

C-85

In my earlier post I said I was havig charging problems and Sparky and Horsefixer thankfully advised to fix my real problems instead of converting to LED lights. I'm sure their right, so this is going to be more painful for me than I thought! I'm a so so mechanic, but one thing I'm not is a electrician. I guess my 81 C-85 has a 15amp system that for some reason doesn't have enough output, I'm wondering what I should do? When I've been using the lights I've had the throttle at full speed, so if it was working right, the battery should be getting charged, but mine doesn't. :bow-blue: Should I replace everything, just the altenator, or just the regulator, I just don't know enough about this so any help would be great!

Thanks,

C-85

Sparky

Should I replace everything, just the altenator, or just the regulator, I just don't know enough about this so any help would be great!

Thanks,

C-85

First off , no, you don't need to replace everything. Most times this problem your tractor is having is the voltage regulator/rectifier. Before you condemn the regulator make sure the body of it has a real good connection to ground or the negative of your battery. Once a good ground is established see if the tractor is charging when running. If its still not charging remove the connector plug off the regulator. Get the engine running and put a multimeter on the two terminals that have the two wires that come out of the engine. You should have AC volts (not DC) in the 26-36 volt range( I might be off on the voltage amount :eusa-think: by a few volts ). If your getting AC voltage then the alternator or stator is good. All thru this process you should be inspecting the wiring and any connections for corrosion, melting, bare and exposed conductors etc... At this point I would start asking around for a voltage regulator.

I just got the charging system back on my C-165 and I had almost condemned the regulator when I discovered the brown connector plug was corroded and melted inside.

Good luck..

Mike............

can whlvr

as mike said make sure when you check the wires coming out of the engine from the stator you put the volt meter on ac,i know he stated this allready but i once forgot this ended up pulling the flywheel for nothing,i had the meter on dc,it was a ground in the end for me

C-85

Thanks for moving this topic to the right area!

And I will check these suggestions this weekend. I'm pretty excited by the wonderfull help you've all given, I just hope my problem is one of these simple things. I never thought to check any of these things. All try to let you all know what I find. :text-thankyouyellow:

Thanks again,

C-85