Sign in to follow this  
BPjunk

Anybody going to Portlands summer show?

BPjunk

Now last year I was working with Brandon Pfeiffer at the Lawn and Garden Collector Magazine booth and since Brandon is a John Deere man there was a lot of John Deere guys coming by .... plus it was the Gravely Clubs big show ...... Soooooo I was out numbered ... now I did hold my own against these "other tractor make ruffians" ... BUT I was sure glad when the Wheel Horse folks started to show up! AND boy did the Wheel Horse folks show UP!!!!

Now of course I can cause some trouble too, Ed Mayhew and I went into the big tent with all the Gravely's right in the middle of their tech session .... and asked the instructor if Gravely ever offered a cup holder or AM radio .... and his replay was "NO" ..... with out hesitation I told him "Well Wheel Horse did so we got one up on you". We did get out of the gravely tent with our lives but still can not exsplain the sickle bar teeth makes on the back of my Wheel Horse! :whistle:

So who's coming to Portland?

Wild Bill in Richmond, Va.

Jim_M

I always try to go, but I don't want to jinx myself. Lately every time I make plans to go somewhere something happens and I can't go.

Teddy da Bear

I will be coming....

I would bring a tractor too, but cannot figure out this "insurance" thingy they want for all riding vehicles.

Who provides such a writer?

Nick

I was going to say I try to go every year but I did miss it last year. :D

Now about this riding vehicle thing. Bill and Jim were there last so maybe they can fill us in with some better information. I assume the show flyer is talking about golf carts and utility vehicles like the gator. I also assume handicap registered vehicles is a golf cart because those are all that can ride in the show area. :WRS: I had thought that lawsuit threat story was to have backed them off this whole kick though. If I was to show up and they told Dad he could not even ride his mobility scooter without handicap proof then I very well could tell them to shove this show up into a dark place of no sunshine. :whistle: :D

CasualObserver

I would bring a tractor too, but cannot figure out this "insurance" thingy they want for all riding vehicles.

Who provides such a writer?

You need to contact your Auto insurance agent. Tell him you have a garden tractor that you will be riding at a show, it can be classified as a recreational vehicle, and you'll need liability insurance for it. It should be based on horsepower and age. Otherwise, it might be covered under your homeowner's policy, you might just need a printout of that to show that you have liability insurance.

Jim_M

Unless they've lightened up on it a little, which I doubt, the only time you're allowed to drive a tractor at the show is when you drive it in to the display area and when you drive it out at the end of the show.

You have to walk at Portland.

They will allow you to drive a tractor in the swap meet area to haul things in and out, but won't let you just ride one to keep from walking.

I'm sure this is a hold over from the days when it was strictly larger farm tractors with less mobility and visibility.

HorseFixer

I plan on going also but this "NO RIDE" thing really stinks! Are we going to have a "REDSQUARE" area there? MJ & I plan to attend with or without a tractor I guess!

Duke

combatmp29r

BP I plan on being there especially since I'm closer now.

Rollerman

I have made it the last 3 years running.

But like Jim I'm not going to jinx myself & say absolutely. B)

More than likely go down on a saturday morning & cruise the swap area.

wh500special

I'm "hoping" to go, but it seems that I always have a conflict arise that week.

BP - check your email.

Steve

Jim_M

I have made it the last 3 years running.

But like Jim I'm not going to jinx myself & say absolutely. B)

More than likely go down on a saturday morning & cruise the swap area.

Stephen,

If everything works out and both of us are able to go, you're welcome to park your truck here and ride down with me. I owe you one for picking up that mower deck for me anyway.

Jim

Rollerman

you're welcome to park your truck here and ride down with me.

Um Jim... does this mean I'll be rideing b#@%h on back of the bike? B)

That be cool if were talking the truck....cooler if were talking the "Red" truck. :whistle:

Thats a common Wheel Horse trade route for me too...so was good to stop & shoot the bull for a few on the way home.

Jim_M

Um Jim... does this mean I'll be rideing b#@%h on back of the bike? B)

That be cool if were talking the truck....cooler if were talking the "Red" truck. :whistle:

Thats a common Wheel Horse trade route for me too...so was good to stop & shoot the bull for a few on the way home.

Stephen,

We'll take the truck. Uh....they're both red.

The Dodge hauls more though, there's not enough room between the wheel wells in the bed of the Ford to fit a tractor.

Jim

HorseFixer

Guys do they have motor home camping there? Or any info or link would be great Thanks B) Duke

Nick

The show site also has a list of campgrounds.

http://www.tristategasengine-tractor.com/

Also just hit me that the Ft Recovery NTPA national tractor pulls are the same weekend as Portland. Its a straight shot over to the pulls from portland so you could hit both one day.

http://www.fortpull.com/

HorseFixer

:whistle: Thanks Guys Will Have To Ck Them Out! B)

Duke

Teddy da Bear

Unless they've lightened up on it a little, which I doubt, the only time you're allowed to drive a tractor at the show is when you drive it in to the display area and when you drive it out at the end of the show.

You have to walk at Portland.

Jim they were driving every manner of contraption in Portland's spring swap meet. Why should the August one be any different??

Jim_M

Jim they were driving every manner of contraption in Portland's spring swap meet. Why should the August one be any different??

Maybe they've lightened up, but they never used to let you drive anything, unless you were driving it in to park it or driving it out.

Teddy da Bear

I know I saw golf carts, three wheel sulkies....kids on ATV's...you name it.

I saw a lot of the golf carts coming from the parking lot across the street.

People had trailered them in.

Might be worth a call or email to nail down expectations.

Nick

Mike, At the spring and Fall swap meets they do let you run anything. But August is the show and at that they dont let you drive much anything. I do think you can haul something in the swap meet area. Guess your right it might be best to call them up or email and ask what the rules are this year. Ive heard to many stories about it to know whats true. B)

Fronk

B) Now I'm new, but only to wheel horse tractors....Last I checked Portland is the Gathering of the ORANGE :whistle: . Hopefully I'll be there with an Allis or Simplicity.

B) Still like my new (to me), freebie wheelhorse! B)

Nick

Yep Portland is the Gathering of Orange. Sold the old 41 C and 52 CA but Im still an Allis man when it comes to the big antique tractors. But did always want a 720 or 9020 powrmax though. They look so much like the big 160 AC tractors wasnt it . B)

TT

But did always want a 720 or 9020 powrmax though. They look so much like the big 160 AC tractors wasnt it . B)

There's a 616 in New Jersey, Nick.

Seems a little over-priced, but it's of that similar design as the One-Eighty / One-Ninety big tractors too. :whistle:

CL link

Nick

Yea TT those big AC/simplicity tractors are always a bit high. Thats a big reason why I dont have one. Ive just never looked into parts, with WH I know it can be found new or used without much hassle but not so sure on those Simplicty tractors. B)