Sign in to follow this  
mattd860

Can This Be Fixed??

mattd860

Below is a fuzzy picture of an aluminum bracket that I broke. It is actually the blade guard on my old band saw. The band saw and the company have long since gone out of business so finding a replacement part is next to impossible.

Can this piece be repaired? If you look closely, the entire circular bracket cracked all the way through and an area around the screw threads chipped away. Also - the threads are all mangled and need to be re-tapped. Can aluminum be tapped like steel?

If anyone thinks they can repair this - please contact me here and I'll send you the part and some money for your labor. I really need this machine up and running asap so I can continue to make the hydro foot pedals in my shop. I can still make them but I will now need to use the shop at work but I hate using that for my own personal stuff.

Click on the picture for a larger image.

2012-01-13_19-53-31_687.jpg

dclarke

If you can't find a way to fix that one Matt maybe you could make one out of steel. I don't know what size it is but could you find an allen head pipe plug or maybe weld two together to make one. just a thought.

squonk

I can't see the pic but I'm sure a good welding shop could fix it. I have a guy near me who built my Power King Loader and I have seen him fix aluminum intake manifolds off of jet ski's that have broken in half. Find someone who's good at TIG welding.

CRE1992

Matt... I might have one of those laying around in my barn. I can't remember if the interior is a hexagon or circular. When I get out there later Ill let you know.

-Charles

mattd860

Matt... I might have one of those laying around in my barn. I can't remember if the interior is a hexagon or circular. When I get out there later Ill let you know.

-Charles

You have the lower blade guard bracket from a ToolKraft Band Saw model 4514??? That would be a miracle!

VinsRJ

Matt there are a number of welding shops in the Hartford area that can help you with that if a part cannot be located. A couple that come to mind is AMK Welding in South Windsor, Hurley Metal Products in Windsor or SMR Metel Tech in South Windsor.

AMC RULES

WOW! What an awesome resource of help this place is, huh? :USA:

JimD

It's a long-shot but you could try here: http://www.toolkraft.com/

DoctorHfuhruhurr

You may want to try putting a small C clamp or lock pliers on it for a quick and dirty fix until you figure out a better more permanent solution.

Paul D.

Any welding shop near you should be able to fix the crack. As for the mangled threads you can chase them with a tap or if they are too far gone you could repair them with a heilicoil kit. The heilicoil threads would actually be more durable than the original threads. When tapping aluminum use WD-40 or lemon pledge(smells nice) to lubricate the tap. Aluminum tends to gum up.

Good luck

KC9KAS

As stated before, a machine shop can weld this. If you think there is a lot of life left in the bandsaw, you might consider having the machine shop make a new piece for you...This will probably cost quite a bit more, but you have to know what your saw is worth to you.

SousaKerry

From past experience I can tell you that not all aluminum is weldable. At work we repair aluminum molds and the man that does the welding is a welding wizard. if the aluminum is die cast it usually made from scrap and is very difficult to weld if not impossible. The only way to tell sometimes is to try it. If they are able to weld it have them fill the hole with weld and redrill and tap it.

good luck

mattd860

Thanks for all your advice. ToolKraft (www.toolkraft.com) no longer makes that part. Yesterday I found a local welding shop and the guy was confident that it can be repair. He is going to weld the crack, fill the hole, and then drill & tap a new hole in a different spot but near the existing hole. He will be finished with it today so if I have time, I'll go pick it up and take some pictures.