Bmwfordfalcon

engine swap

Bmwfordfalcon

this may sound like a stupid question, but i have no luck with kohler motors whatsoever. I also don't have much patience for a pull start motor which i currently have. I have a wheelhorse 8hp 4speed 1973 model. i would like to drop a newer 1999 briggs and straton engine into it, only problem is that this motor is a vertical shaft 12.5hp. Now i would much rather prefer the vertical shaft motor due to this tractor is going to be used primarily for offroading and such. The pulley on the motor fits down in between the frame where the oil pan for the kohler would go. The only problem is the transmission for this tractor is designed to be used with a horizontal shaft motor, how would i go about putting all of this together to work? Any diagrams or parts i can buy or swap to make it work?

Sparky

Why would you want your drive pulley closer to the ground? Thats what a vertical shaft engine will get you. Why not just buy a tractor with a vertical shaft engine (or one without a motor ) and skip all the engineering? There were a few Wheel Horses with the larger 12" rear rims and 8" fronts that came with a vertical shaft engine.

Your project sounds like way to much work when a busted up vertical shaft tractor can probably be had for cheap $$.

Mike..........

Kelly

I agree, sounds like alot of work, not saying it can't be done, but why, look on CL there is lots of cheap mowers that use the vert shaft engines, heck in my area there is a very nice craftsman with a bad engine for $100 with deck and plow, tractor looks new in the pics, I'm sure ones like that can be had all over, just look.

• Like 1

Bmwfordfalcon

Well, I would do what you are all suggesting, but I am looking for a challenge and just to haw something different so that's why I am asking. I do have other junker tractors that are modded but I figured I have this wheel horse frame sitting around I may as well use it.

squonk

If you have had bad luck with Kohlers and want a challenge, Drop in a Tecky!! :scared-eek:

• Haha 1

Bmwfordfalcon

I have a Tecumseh for it already, but as soon as it gets cold outside the things chokes up and doesn't like to start. It has a newly rebuilt carburetor and was runs great....only

When it's hot. Lol

can whlvr

if you want simplicity and reliability and a motor that starts on the first pull every time put a horizontal shaft HONDA in,some guys get lucky with the clones,i havnt been so lucky with them but have had great suckcess with hondas in all types of equipment and they pretty much bolt right in

083.jpg

Keith

I have a 800 Special 1970 model that has a broken Briggs 8 HP. Would the Honda GX 390 motor work in this tractor ? Chinese clones of this motor have 420cc ($350 at Harbor Freight). My Wheel Horse needs a new clutch so I am less concerned about the shaft configuration, I think a suitable clutch will fit the Honda with the correct belt offset., where to look for these items?

I was considering rebuilding a Kohler 12 HP K-301 as I like the looks, but I'd likely spend as much getting it in top shape as a new Honda might cost.

The new Honda motor looks "new", which I don't like, but will the Honda fit the 800 Special ? Its lighter and maybe more compact than the iron Kohler motor. I have plenty of hood clearance on the top of the old L-head. I suppose the Honda gas tank is integrated with the carb and can't be remote ?

On Ebay there is a rebuilt K-301 item # 270881894345 which is said to be from a Wheel Horse, and another used K-301 item # 160717971198.

Someone with sheel metal skills might modify item # 300654041932 ( or a similar old shroud) to fit on the Chinese clone, I would not attempt that with the Honda. Get rid of the recoil start and use the old housing ( the 8 HP Briggs only had electric start). Oh, just stick with the Kohler, if its a good fit for the 800 Special... Is the Kohler a good fit ? The Kohler looks right on the Wheel House, but I wonder what some clever housing fab work might do to the Honda.

if you want simplicity and reliability and a motor that starts on the first pull every time put a horizontal shaft HONDA in,some guys get lucky with the clones,i havnt been so lucky with them but have had great suckcess with hondas in all types of equipment and they pretty much bolt right in

083.jpg

Rooster

Many older tractors had a Right angle gear box on the decks.

You could use on of those RAGB's to drive your tranny from a Vertical shaft engine.

It would indeed be a challenge, but could be made to work.

Don1977

Vertical shaft engines are one thing I avoid. The only reason most new lawn and garden tractors used them is that they cost three to five hunder dollars less. I have one vertical shaft engine only because it's on a lawn mower that was my fathers.

littleredrider

I put a HF 13 horse clone in a 63 lawn ranger. You should be able to fit that engine with room to spare.

2113949120043830172S600x600Q85.jpg

can whlvr

if you are considering the kohler then do it that way,the kohler is the best choice for your machine,i would have put one back in mine but the rod politely gave me an auxilery port in the block and finding a used kohler around me is like finding platnum,so i used a honda but if i could choose for a wheelhorse it would be a kohler like its supposed to have

electro12
On 1/13/2012 at 7:47 PM, Bmwfordfalcon said:

this may sound like a stupid question, but i have no luck with kohler motors whatsoever. I also don't have much patience for a pull start motor which i currently have. I have a wheelhorse 8hp 4speed 1973 model. i would like to drop a newer 1999 briggs and straton engine into it, only problem is that this motor is a vertical shaft 12.5hp. Now i would much rather prefer the vertical shaft motor due to this tractor is going to be used primarily for offroading and such. The pulley on the motor fits down in between the frame where the oil pan for the kohler would go. The only problem is the transmission for this tractor is designed to be used with a horizontal shaft motor, how would i go about putting all of this together to work? Any diagrams or parts i can buy or swap to make it work?

The big 6000 series older craftsman mowers run a vertical shaft engine back to a horizontal pully on the transmission. Unfortunatly you don't have really enough run space for the belt to turn and to make it worse your driven pully is on the outside of the frame. What you need is a gearbox to change the belt from verticql to horizontal. then you got the problem of having a clutch. You might be ok as the clutch works on the vertical section of the undercarriage. so you need to position your gearbox somehow under the tractor with the output shaft horizontal to allow running a belt back to the original gearbox. LOTTA WORK. I think i would stay with the horizontal shaft engine. Get one of the Harbor frieght 13HP engines with electric start or even the 15 HP. SInce your not worried about using a deck this would be an easy upgrade and not terribly expensive.