Sign in to follow this  
eibbed

Transmission won't shift when motor is running.

eibbed

Gentlemen,

I recently purchased a 1967 Wheel Horse 867. When the motor is running and I try to change gears, all I get is resistance and chatter. Once I turn the engine off, I can shift to either range and any gear freely.

The tractor did not come with a drive belt guard. Will installing a belt guard solve the problem, or is it possibly something else?

Thanks in advance,

Dave

dclarke

Put a belt guard on it, more than likely that will fix it.

eibbed

Thanks,

There is one on EBay for a 1077 that I'll go ahead and purchase. I think it might work.

Even though mine is a short frame and the 1077 is a long frame, Toro.com had the same part number for both.

I was up in your neck of the woods last Saturday visiting my granddaughter in Rochester. We'll have to get together next time I'm up that way.

Dave

• Like 1

Rollerman

I am pretty sure the 1077 belt guard will not work, it will be to long & designed to fit the differant sized pullies for a hydro.

Double check those numbers again.

Without doing my home work I'd say an 855,856,857, Command 8 belt guard would work if an 867 can't be found.

TT

There is one on EBay for a 1077 that I'll go ahead and purchase. I think it might work.

The 1077 guard will NOT work. In addition to being a long-frame, it is also a hydro.

In addition to the obvious 867 part, a guard from a late-production 857 or a '68 Commando 8 would be a direct replacement. Other guards that could work would be 702, 633, 753, 704, 754, 854, 855, 856, & the early 857, but they will have the model number indentation.

EDIT: Oops..... Rollerman pulled the trigger first.

JamesBe1

It sounds like your clutch is not disengaging. Check the belt tension and associated components. With the clutch in, there should be no movement on the belt.

Sparky

It sounds like your clutch is not disengaging. Check the belt tension and associated components. With the clutch in, there should be no movement on the belt.

Thats correct, but the belt guides on the belt guard are necessary to stop the belt as well.

Mike.........

Kelly

I don't have a correct belt guard but I have at least one that will work, the ones I have have the indent for the model no. send me a PM if your still looking.

eibbed

Thanks guys,

When I push the clutch in, the belt has less tension, but it is still moving in a counter clockwise direction.

Kelly thanks for checking for me, but I'm getting a Commando 8 belt guard from dclarke.

Right now I'm not that worried about originality or restoring this tractor. I just want to bring her back to life and use her as she is.

I'll let you know how the Commando 8 belt guard works once i get it installed.

Thanks again!

Dave

JamesBe1

Thats correct, but the belt guides on the belt guard are necessary to stop the belt as well.

Mike.........

Yup. I shoulda though of that before I posted. Thanx.

eibbed

Here's what happened!

dclarke didn't have a Commando 8 belt guard, but he did have one off of a Commando 6. He modified it to match the one he had removed from his 857.

We tried bolting it to my 867, but had issues with the clutch pulley, which appeared to be bent and holding the guard out away from the tractor.

Then Denny and I got to talking and I ended up selling him my 867.

Thanks again for all the help.

Dave