Sign in to follow this  
mowerman1193

Over the range microwave

mowerman1193

I had a over the range microwave given to me with no instructions for installing it. Figured I would look around online for instructions and found several but I get conflicting info from them as to how high above the range to install it. Two sites says the standard is 66" from the floor while one diagram show 66" to the top of the microwave and the other show 66" to the bottom of the microwave, another says 24" above the range. Some of the measurements I found is so high up I would have to go upstairs to reach it, LOL....They must source out the people that write instruction papers these days to china..I remember when instructions was writen in plain english that could be understude..

I guess new ones come with a template. I haven't found a source for one of those..so I was just going to make measurements for where it would go and draw the mounting plate onto the wall for refurance.

So anyone have any info for mounting this thing?

Kevin

rmaynard

I install these things on a fairly frequent basis. A lot depends on what type of cabinet you have above the range. My rule of thumbs is to keep the lowest part of the microwave 18" from the top of the cooking element. You have to be able to get your tallest cook pot under the microwave and be able to stir the contents. I sometimes will hang them lower if the "cook" is short. The other concern is can the cook safely place and remove hot dishes from the microwave.

Again, rule of thumb - 18"

Don1977

24" to 30" clear above the range is the correct mesurement for range hood a microwave should be about the same. 18" is correct for between base and wall cabinets.

mowerman1193

Thanks guys, Maybe I will get this in before the new range comes..

Kevin

rmaynard

24" to 30" clear above the range is the correct mesurement for range hood a microwave should be about the same. 18" is correct for between base and wall cabinets.

Not to be confrontational, but at 24 to 30" clear above the range, you would not be able to reach the inside of the microwave unless you are 7' tall, and the exhaust fan would be practically useless. You need to re-read the installation instructions for a typical microwave. The suggested height of the bottom of the cabinet above the microwave is 30" or more. A typical microwave is 15" to 17" tall.

wh-jason

Instructions are just another guys opinion. LOL

(null)

mowerman1193

Instructions are just another guys opinion. LOL

(null)

Yeah well most times I don't worry too much about it..But common sence tells me if I put the microwave too close to the gas stove flame I would end up with melted microwave in my steak..I aint worried about the microwave that was free..But I aint throwin no steak away..and emergency room cost way too much these days as I am sure thats where I would end up after eating plastic coated steak, LOL

Kevin