Sign in to follow this  
whfan74

Lady Ranger Commences

Rooster

If you scratched the powder it mayu be repairable.

Our powder coater gave us some extra powder and told us to heat the area and drop the powder on. It should flow out and be virtually unnoticeable.

whfan74

It is turning out pretty good and I am pleased with the progress. Thank you to everyone for their compliments and encouragement. My goal is to now keep her out of the barn and have a "big reveal" when it is all done! I will wait on getting some things back from the powder coater and work on some small things in the meantime.

I am very happy the entire family will be involved in the hobby in some sort of capacity. It makes it that much more special. Who knows maybe at some point the entire family will be driving in some parades together. Hoping to head over tonight after work for a few hours and help dad with his 701, work a little on Lady Ranger, get our C-161 loaded for Mike (racinfool40), and some other things tore down and prepped for sandblasting and powder coating.

Thanks for following the thread everyone!

Ken B

The Lady Ranger is really coming together and looking very nice!. If I had a daughter I'd do a pink tractor in a heart beat.

kpinnc

The wheel color looks much better with the color of the tractor. My girls see this, and I may lose half my herd!

I think it's great your family is so interested. I say paint them whatever color it takes! I'd polka-dot them if I had to. Red, pink, yellow, brown, or rust- It's still a Wheel Horse. Just no green... :ychain:

whfan74

Progress has been slow going as of late. Some of the parts that were supposed to be pink were mixed in with the 701 parts over at the powder coater and came back red. So back they went and now the waiting begins. The tie rods and some of the brake parts are holding up some of the progress. The new seat pan is over there and is getting a little welding done to help reinforce it a bit. Would love to put on the new seat cover and install, but that will have to wait as well.

Spent some time tonight sanding the steering shaft so the tolerances are back to where they need to be. Spent a lot of time sanding the old paint/powder coat off of the brake band and prepping that for paint. Took a little more off of the motor and getting ready for an easy clean up job before the primer is laid down on it. The steering wheel is nice but has some rust on the two spokes, so back to sanding again tonight as well as cleaning up the black plastic to make it look nice.

No pictures to post but progress is still being made, just a bit slower unfortunately. Hoping to get the parts back soon and getting this finished off. I am really pleased on how it is turning out. There are some areas I could have spent some more time on but I am somewhat happy with the results. I am hoping my next post will be able to have some pictures of the actual visual progress that I am making.

Lane Ranger

Looking very good Scott!

She is going to love this when it is completed and it will be very neat and unique!!

DMK855

Scott, it looks great!! Can not wait to see the finished product!!

stevasaurus

Great thread Scott. Of course you know that the wife wants one so she can ride around with your daughter. Pretty smart on your part, if I may say so. :) The decals look fantastic also. You gotta be lovin' that heated shed. Thumbs up mate.

whfan74

Had an unexpected day to be able to work on the Lady Ranger. The Superintendent called off school for the day due to ice, so off to the barn I went. Did a little more on the tractor, but am still being held up due to the fact that I can't go to much further without parts coming back from the powder coater. The motor is about ready for primer and paint.

Dad had surgery last week and is recovering so I spent some time helping him get ready to get the last few little parts over to the powder coater since he is supposed to still take it easy. Most of it is back, but there are few small things that still need to get over there.

Here is a mock up of the Lady Ranger......

LadyRanger4.jpg

• Like 1

AMC RULES

It's definitely gonna be pink, huh Scott? :teasing-poke: Bet the daughter already loves it too? :dunno:

Rollerman

It's looking great Scott.

whfan74

Craig...........no turning back now! She is getting anxious. My 2 year old boy keeps asking when his is going to be done. Patience isn't in the vocabulary of a child. haha!

Thanks Stephen...........and thanks for the steering wheel!

kpinnc

I still say this is a GREAT project, and an awesome job to boot! I think it's great you're doing this for your daughter, and yes this means you'll be making another one (at least) for your son!

I have 3 girls, so I'm intentionally keeping away from this thread when they are looking! :ychain:

My 6 year old has already laid claim to one of my Rangers. I guess the size of those tractors really appeals to the kids. They do after all look kinda like a toy! I'm 6'0", 230lbs, so I do look a bit huge driving mine. Maybe I should fix them up for my girls too- because at least they would get used more!

• Like 1

Jake Kuhn

It looks great Scott! :handgestures-thumbup:

whfan74

Like I have mentioned before, if you get the chance to do one for your daughter's it is more than worth it. I have found that this project is so much more enjoyable than any of the others that I have previously done. Making it personal has really put a smile on my daughter's face and if she wants to cruise in a few parades with her dad, then it is definitely more than worth it.

Do it if you can, trust me it will be a decision you won't regret!

DMK855

That being said Scott, my daughter caught me looking at this last night. She loved it!! With her being five, she has started laying claims to "her" tractor!! Of course, she has laid claim to the other RJ, as the other is her "big brother's".......... Only time will tell!!

GREAT JOB!!

whfan74

Slowly but surely things are getting done. Haven't had much time to really focus on it, which can be frustrating. Cleaned up a few more things yesterday and laid down some primer. Hoping to get a chance to get some painting done later this week.

LadyRanger5.jpg

whfan74

Things are still slow going as I am waiting on some more parts from the powder coater. I can't complain because the price is right but I do know that I would have this all done if it wasn't for the long wait. Hopefully the phone call will come in this week and I can get things wrapped up on the tractor. He has some tins for the motor that I need so that I can reinstall some other parts on it. They are off to the side waiting until the other stuff comes back.

Well the block is on and now I wait. Put the choke and throttle cables on today. Need to cut them down once everything is on the motor and I can make them just the size I need.

Here is what it looks like. Sorry for the poor quality photo but the engine block is silver and is a pretty close match to the rims. The tins that I am waiting on are being powder coated pink.

LadyRanger6.jpg

I didn't want it to be a wasted night so while dad was working on finishing up the 1955 Walk away I turned my focus to another one that we are trying to get done. Some of the parts are back from the powder coater on this one so I spent a little time cleaning out the powder and assembling a few pieces. Here is what I was doing while hiding over in the corner of the barn. The fenders and tool box are put together with the seat spring waiting to be mounted. I don't have the tranny ready to install but was able to work with the frame, hoodstand, steering shaft, and gas tank. Some of you probably already know what it is, those that don't feel free to take a guess.

701Start.jpg

So needless to say the barn looks like it had a tornado go through it lately. Even though it is a complete disaster in there right now we do have a good feeling knowing that progress is being made.

Hope you enjoy!

Rollerman

Progress is looking good Scott, thats really going to stand out!

I'll take a guess at the above pic....a Wheel Horse, what do I win?

whfan74

You are on the right track Stephen.....a dusty Wheel Horse at that. It has been sitting for too long uncovered in the barn. Need to do some cleaning before I go to much further on it.

Jake Kuhn

Looks good Scott :handgestures-thumbup:

dclarke

Would there be a 1 in the model number of that red tractor Scott?

whfan74

There might be Denny! :handgestures-thumbupleft:

kpinnc

I had seen another Pink Ranger somewhere, but I just couldn't find it. I've been looking for this picture ever since you started this thread, and I found it today. Obviously, your choice in colors was far better:

Parade007.jpg

Though that tractor was used for a good cause, it certainly didn't look anywhere near as good as yours does. I am as excited about your builds as any other ones I've followed for a long time. Maybe I've been hanging around my daughters too much???? But seriously, this does make me think quite a bit about doing something like this for them. Even after they grow up, it would still be quite the conversation piece at shows!

Still not showing this to my girls yet... :snooty:

• Like 1

whfan74

Thanks for such kind words. Like I have mentioned it isn't flawless.....but it will be awesome for my daughter and I to enjoy.

Come on it is time to break down and show the girls! :)